Do tortoises get lonely?

Tanner Fry

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan, United States
Hello! I have one female Russian tortoise now who is in a very large enclosure and seems particularly happy about life. I know that the repticon is coming up soon for my area and didn't know if I should be able to get another one? The first question is are there any benefits to adding another tortoise? The second question is if I do get another should I get a Male or female? 20190630_184549.jpeg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Tortoises in general are not a social or family-oriented species. In the wild the adults find each other to mate, and then go their separate ways. Females dig a hole for their eggs, then bury them and move on, so babies enter the world entirely independent.

Being in captivity doesn't change those natural instincts. So tortoises see others as competition for food, water, best basking spot, etc.

Russians happen to be one of the worst about not getting along amicably with another tortoise in their territory. I've personally even had to separate 2 babies at barely 2 months of age because they started to bully each other, and they are siblings. They are both much happier with their own, separate enclosures.

If you ever want to get into breeding, you'll want at least 3 females for 1 male due to their aggressive mating. But pairs are never a good idea for Russians (especially same genders). They are much happier having their own space.

Tanner Fry

Michigan, United States
Tortoises in general are not a social or family-oriented species. In the wild the adults find each other to mate, and then go their separate ways. Females dig a hole for their eggs, then bury them and move on, so babies enter the world entirely independent.

Being in captivity doesn't change those natural instincts. So tortoises see others as competition for food, water, best basking spot, etc.

Russians happen to be one of the worst about not getting along amicably with another tortoise in their territory. I've personally even had to separate 2 babies at barely 2 months of age because they started to bully each other, and they are siblings. They are both much happier with their own, separate enclosures.

If you ever want to get into breeding, you'll want at least 3 females for 1 male due to their aggressive mating. But pairs are never a good idea for Russians (especially same genders). They are much happier having their own space.
Thank you! I'm now well versed in tortoise habits or behaviours but some of the enclosures that I had viewed had multiple per tortoise table but I thought it best to consult those who had more experience first before doing anything drastic such as getting another!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Multiples can work but it is 1 or 3 or more. 2 will eventually lead to one getting sick or even dying. Tortoises are the ultimate king of the hill players.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you! I'm now well versed in tortoise habits or behaviours but some of the enclosures that I had viewed had multiple per tortoise table but I thought it best to consult those who had more experience first before doing anything drastic such as getting another!

My Russian is such a bully; I’d never put her near another tortoise! Glad you checked!