do tortoises get aggressive ?

graciemay98

Location (City and/or State)
OH
hi i was just wondering if tortoises tend to get a little aggressive or nervous with less handling over time? (similar to how snakes behave).
i have a young sulcata, i have no issues but was just curious!
:)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
hi i was just wondering if tortoises tend to get a little aggressive or nervous with less handling over time? (similar to how snakes behave).
Every tortoise and tortoise species are different...I also keep Sulcata...I have one who is about 7 yrs old and 50 lbs...I have had him since he was a yearling...I have always handled my torts...a lot...about 3 weeks ago I was picking up poop in the tort shed and Big Sam came up to me and I really wasn't paying attention to him, and he bit my hand needing 4 stitches. he wasn't being mean...he was just being a tortoise. Remember...they are used to grabbing grass and yanking it out of the ground...when they bite a person they don't let go and those sharp jaws cut and cut bad...Sam is an aggressive male as far as other male tortoises are concerned...and has gotten in with 2 other male tortoises and turned both on to their backs...so it kinda depends...but I believe in handling tortoises...and I don't believe they are naturally mean...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think it has anything to do with handling. More to do with individual personality and species. Every once I a while I see a "super male" Testudo tortoise that wants to ram, bite and attack everything. Many people say "my tortoise hates me..." because it is behaving like a typical reptile and not seeking attention from them. My SA leopard males really do hate me though. They come running any time they see me and ram or bite me to get me out of their pen. If you stick around long enough, they will do this to other people too, but they come after me with a zeal and fervor like no other. They see me as an intruder in their territory, and somehow I am a worse intruder than any other person who enters their territory.

I've never seen any sulcata be aggressive toward a person. In all the years on this forum and in all my years of dealing with 100s of them personally, I've only heard of one that would get pushy with people in their pen. None of mine have ever done this in all the years I've had them. They will, on the other hand, get aggressive with other sulcatas. Males will usually fight other males. Females are not usually combative, but I have had one female that would go after and attack other sulcatas. Most don't.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a little Russian. He's totally a vegan and so cute. I know he'd never bite me on purpose except for specific to tortoise reasons. Like I smell like an herb he likes. Or me doing something to him that's scary. He only threatened So I don't know if he would have bit me. I doubt it but still I watch all of my animals when I'm dealing with them. I have a house rabbit that warns me that I'm being aggravating if I go past her space. A house cat that bit me because I stopped petting him also. So I love them but I trust them to be their little animal self too.

Sa Ga

MN
Every tortoise and tortoise species are different...I also keep Sulcata...I have one who is about 7 yrs old and 50 lbs...I have had him since he was a yearling...I have always handled my torts...a lot...about 3 weeks ago I was picking up poop in the tort shed and Big Sam came up to me and I really wasn't paying attention to him, and he bit my hand needing 4 stitches. he wasn't being mean...he was just being a tortoise. Remember...they are used to grabbing grass and yanking it out of the ground...when they bite a person they don't let go and those sharp jaws cut and cut bad...Sam is an aggressive male as far as other male tortoises are concerned...and has gotten in with 2 other male tortoises and turned both on to their backs...so it kinda depends...but I believe in handling tortoises...and I don't believe they are naturally mean...
Omg! I had no idea they could be that territorial w/ people! With each other, sure... Even Morla got this different demeanor when I put her in front of a mirror!

4 stitches....that must have really hurt! When Mo accidentally gets me hand feeding, zowie! That's a good crushing pinch! I can't even imagine w/ a sulky!

Do u think female sulkies would be less territorial to humans? Was Bob a sulky?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Omg! I had no idea they could be that territorial w/ people! With each other, sure... Even Morla got this different demeanor when I put her in front of a mirror!

4 stitches....that must have really hurt! When Mo accidentally gets me hand feeding, zowie! That's a good crushing pinch! I can't even imagine w/ a sulky!

Do u think female sulkies would be less territorial to humans? Was Bob a sulky?
I probably did not explain myself very good. Big Sam did not bite me out of meanness...I felt him sniff my hand...but as usual I was thinking about something else, and I must have smelled good to him because he sniffed and bit...there's no getting a big tortoise to let go if he doesn't want to...so the pain kinda goes from red to black and some how or for some reason they all the sudden let go. I normally wouldn't have gone to the hospital but it wouldn't stop bleeding. Big Sam is not aggressive or territorial to people(notice I said that after describing a bloody bite) ...I dropped my guard, and you shouldn't do that with any animal...And, yes...Bob was a Sulcata...

Sa Ga

MN
I probably did not explain myself very good. Big Sam did not bite me out of meanness...I felt him sniff my hand...but as usual I was thinking about something else, and I must have smelled good to him because he sniffed and bit...there's no getting a big tortoise to let go if he doesn't want to...so the pain kinda goes from red to black and some how or for some reason they all the sudden let go. I normally wouldn't have gone to the hospital but it wouldn't stop bleeding. Big Sam is not aggressive or territorial to people(notice I said that after describing a bloody bite) ...I dropped my guard, and you shouldn't do that with any animal...And, yes...Bob was a Sulcata...

Ok, because I have heard of larger torts being like, "Hey! This is my turf!" And I wouldn't think it mean even in that case.

But in this case you just smelled yummy....lol. Morla is actually pretty careful and if she gets me, she lets go right away--and then it's hard to get her to finish eating. ? But I suppose a finger for her feels a lot diffr than a hand to a big sulcata!

Last edited:

Nurstradamus

Oakland CA
I've had box turtles who became aggressive. My male red foot chases after the female with fierce persistence (she knows where to hide when he does) and it can look like aggression, but it's courting behavior.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I did not know Sullys would bite. Head ram sure but biting no.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

From many posts on here and personal experience YES! But believe it has more to do with species, individual genetics and sometimes breeding hormones. Sulcatas tend to be agressive. Especially adult males. Most get used to their keepers and trusting of you if having much personal contact. However ALWAYS beware of hand feeding BIG tortoises. A Snapping turtle can bite off your finger. So can a big tortoise.

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
I sometimes catch Tank sniffing the purple iris tattoo on my calf when I am outside but he has never attempted to bite it. He has gotten moody a few times and when he does, I leave him be and check on him later. Love that boy Tank!

Attachments

• Tank being sweet.jpeg
    Tank being sweet.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 11

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Mine doesn’t go after people in an aggressive frenzy, but he sure does seem to find toes tasty!