Do tortoises feel emotion?

Tony the Tort42

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have noticed my baby tends to have "moods". Sometimes I can pet his chin and he puts his neck all the way out, others I take him out of his enclousure and he wants nothing to do with me. Is this actual moods, or does it just have to do if hes itchy or not? I have also noticed he is not afraid of me any more. When I first got him he would retract when interacted with, but he has really warmed up. Is this usual for babies? I've heard sully's tend to have friendly personalities, but he actually seems to like people (he follows me when I let him graze).

Kent
One of my tortoises gets very exited when i put my hand in his sight and walks over to it, and i have just got my second baby. The new one is exactly as you said, he is still a little nervous when i try to hand feed, like my first was when i got him. I think it is quite normal, does yours try to bite your finger occasionally?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would like to think my tort enjoys my company. He wanders over to me if I sit on the floor in his room, but in reality he sees me as an intruder and when he gets close enough he will barge into me and even try to lift my leg to make sure I know that I am not welcome and he wants to be alone.
You are his food god and he probably mistakes your hand for food or is looking for food.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Every day I can practically read the scowl on Artys face as she follows me around her table trying to will me to give her breakfast! But then once she has enough food to eat, she still follows me around all day trying to get a back rub! She / he loves his back scratches! They always shake their *** back and forth when I give them a butt scratch. Super outgoing tortoise.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Haha good point. It would be worth it to house such a magnificent animal. I think aldabras feel emotion from what ive heard. They are like the dog of torts, the sound really friendly

Tortoise newbee

Los Angeles County
I have noticed my baby tends to have "moods". Sometimes I can pet his chin and he puts his neck all the way out, others I take him out of his enclousure and he wants nothing to do with me. Is this actual moods, or does it just have to do if hes itchy or not? I have also noticed he is not afraid of me any more. When I first got him he would retract when interacted with, but he has really warmed up. Is this usual for babies? I've heard sully's tend to have friendly personalities, but he actually seems to like people (he follows me when I let him graze).

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Of course they have feelings. They are sentient beings.