Do they get more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLW

5 Year Member
Hi i have a 11year old herman tortoise. Who i hibernated for the first time last year. A friend of a friend has a herman tortoise for sale who is 10year old. Shes looking for £200 for it. Hes still in a tank not been hibernated & never been out in proper sun light :-s im kinda worried of the fact hes still in a tank @ 10 and never been out. They are selling baby tortoises for £100 at my local pet shop but she reckons the older a tortoise gets the more expensive they get :-s im not convinced!! What do you think??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Generally tortoises do get more expensive as they get bigger, they are more established so dying is less of a risk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi NLW:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

There are a couple of things to consider besides the price (and yes, a bigger, already established tortoise does cost more). There are different sub-species of Hermann tortoise and you want to be sure you're getting the same kind as the one you already have. Also, there should be a quarantine period of AT LEAST 90 days before putting new tortoises together. Another thing is the sex of them. Males will probably fight, especially if you're keeping them in a small indoor habitat. And one male with one female in a small indoor habitat is also bad because the male will pester the female too much, causing her distress.

What would you like us to call you?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Besides, older torts have more time and money invested in them.

However, it is often a buyer's market for these and local demand may be such that the babies are more expensive and the older guys are being almost given away.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The older a tortoise gets it should become more valuable up until it hits sexual maturity and can produce viable eggs. Thats when the price should hit its peak because you can produce your own babies so it should be more expensive than just one baby.

NLW

5 Year Member
My herman tortoise is already out side & therefore if i did get another one it would go out side aswell. I didnt think about the sex, :-s so two male tortoises will likely fight together? Mayb if i am looking for another tortoise i should look for a female one.

Does nobody else think its strange that at 10 the tortoise im looking at has never been outside? Is still in a tank with a heat mat/lamp. I took my tortoise out his tank at 3 and for the first time last year hibernated him ( although i was worried he wouldnt make it through)

Thanks all for your help :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Even 2 females can fight, I'm afraid. They are solitary in the wild, meeting up to mate and then moving on.

In captivity, as they mature, they become jealous of food and territory and butting, biting and mounting start. Blood may be drawn and the subordinate tortoise becomes withdrawn, ill amd could die.

Groups of 3 or more can work together where there is plenty of space to avoid attention ... eg outside

As Yvonne said, any newcomer MUST be kept entirely separately in quarantine to ensure neither makes the other ill. I would do this for a good 6 months, others say a year.

You should only get another tortoise if you can keep it entirely separately for the quarantine period and are prepared to accept that this may have to be a permanent arrangement.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In response to your question....and in my opinion....the tortoise that is being forced to live in a tank at age 10 is being neglected the opportunity to be outdoors to muck about...to dig into the earth...to be in the fresh air....to graze....and most importantly, to absorb the benefits of the natural sun...of which no artificial light can duplicate....I would suggest to that person that they need to set up a secure outdoor yard for the tortoise in that tank to enjoy the outdoors, where they belong....

Also, pairs are an extremely hard situation to bring harmony to....

NLW

5 Year Member
My thoughts exactly. 10years in the same tank with false light & heat cant do it much good!! Think im goin to just keep the one tortoise which iv already got :)

Status
Not open for further replies.