do superworms eat superworms?

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
I have read that the beetles will eat small larvae and eggs, but will big superworm larvae eat little ones, or was i just ripped off?

About 3 weeks ago i bought "100 small superworms" at a a Petco in Fairfax, VA. I was looking for small worms which i could raise up on organic veggies. I briefly stirred up the contents of the container to see that there were some small worms in there but did not check the quantity.

I did not do anything except feed them greens and a few carrot slices. I had another bin of large worms (bought at a Petsmart) next to them which i was also feeding, and feeding my boxie with. These seem fine, and there are still a lot of those left.

So today i thought i better change the bedding of the small worms (none of which i have harvested yet). There were only 7 worms in there! 2 were full-sized but some little ones too. I saw no carcasses of dead worms.
Is it possible the big ones ate the little ones whole, despit having plenty of other stuff to eat? Seems unlikely that 3-4 larger worms would have eaten 90 little ones.
The brand is Timberline.

M

Maggie Cummings

Could they have escaped? Just an idea for you, I keep a corner of my yard dug up and used for Sulcata poop. The nightcrawlers grow to be monsters, they are about 10 inches long.
If I have to buy some, I go to a fishing store, sporting goods or feed store. I rarely buy anything at a pet store......

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Yes, they can be cannibalistic. They were probably eating each other before you bought them.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
The best thing I can recommend to you is U-tube vermiculture composting. I was buying worms at Petco every other week for my box turtle. Then someone gave me about 200 worms and showed me how to set up a verimculture bin. Super easy! I haven't bought worms since October to feed her.

Two $5.00 tubs, some holes for drainage and a few for air, some coco coir, and news paper- DONE. You feed them your kitchen waste... they turn it into food for your garden (compost)... they triple in volume every few months. Its a constant food source and disposal system in one, plus my husband always has fishing bait now. I started my bin about 4 months ago haven't needed to buy food for her since. There has to be close to a 1000 worms in there now. See the photos below, super easy. Highly recommend to everyone!

Attachments

• 20160215_085332_resized.jpg
    20160215_085332_resized.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160215_085455_resized.jpg
    20160215_085455_resized.jpg
    901.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160215_085508_resized.jpg
    20160215_085508_resized.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 24

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I've not seen that degree of cannibalism with superworms, but if they're thirsty they will definitely munch on each other.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I've not seen that degree of cannibalism with superworms, but if they're thirsty they will definitely munch on each other.

Exactly-- if inadequate food or moisture source isn't given, they will eat each other. I'll usually find the front half of a worm's body left when cannibalism occurs. But complete disappearance of the majority of superworms is very odd.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
The best thing I can recommend to you is U-tube vermiculture composting. I was buying worms at Petco every other week for my box turtle. Then someone gave me about 200 worms and showed me how to set up a verimculture bin. Super easy! I haven't bought worms since October to feed her.

Two $5.00 tubs, some holes for drainage and a few for air, some coco coir, and news paper- DONE. You feed them your kitchen waste... they turn it into food for your garden (compost)... they triple in volume every few months. Its a constant food source and disposal system in one, plus my husband always has fishing bait now. I started my bin about 4 months ago haven't needed to buy food for her since. There has to be close to a 1000 worms in there now. See the photos below, super easy. Highly recommend to everyone!

Yes, i am familiar with the concept and will probably do this soon.
Altough since newspaper contains BPA (and it wouldn't surprise me if cardboard does too) i won't be using that. Maybe some halfway dried-out grass clippings?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
No, they could not have escaped.
However, on 2nd thought, there may have been a few little pieces of dead worms in there.

When i posted this thread, i had just changed out the bran in the containers for some organic rolled oats. In the process i put the 2 largest worms from that troubled container into my other stash of large superworms. So all that remained in the small tub was 5 small ones.
Yesterday (9 days later) i took inventory of the small ones, and there were only 2 left! Also some dried pieces of dead ones. How can that happen? There were no big ones to kill them.

And BTW i am not totally new to using superworms. I normally don't have this problem. The other container, with larger worms, is still doing fine. I have been giving all the worms some fresh veggies almost daily, like i always do.

Anyway, it's a mystery that may never be resolved.