Do Russian Tortoises Cause Diseases ?

Reinolz

Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas
Hello so I'm interested in getting some Russian Tortoises for a plant bed that I'm building. My question is... Is it safe to eat the vegetables, and leafy greens out of the garden that the tortoises live in ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello so I'm interested in getting some Russian Tortoises for a plant bed that I'm building. My question is... Is it safe to eat the vegetables, and leafy greens out of the garden that the tortoises live in ?
You're assuming the torts won't eat everything, right? Welcome to the forum, BTW. It's late. I'm confused. You're getting Russian tortoises for your garden bed so your garden will grow?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Ah I think I smell what you are cooking. In order to best do it you will need at least two plots for every Russian. You keep one in the plot and it fertilizes the ground then you move the Russian to the other plot then till and amend. Unfortunately torts are terrible territorial creatures of habit and they will pack down the earth at the base of the walls from their patrols. Then their is the poop- by them time you get enough to amend the soil it would stink to high heaven and be in spots not all spread out.. My neighbor did this with chickens and after moving them and amending the soil she has a magnificent garden. Sadly your torts would also be very upset every time they get moved-Territorial-so it would be stressful to rotate them. and Lastly Russians are little boogers so pairs only work for very supervised breeding times-my male will shell butt me if I go in his pen! Hope that was what you were looking for

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoises will eat the plants. It would be just as easy to have separate enclosures (separate from the veg garden) and just pick up the tortoise poop on a regular basis and add it into the soil in the garden. To answer your question, I don't THINK any diseases would transfer from the poop into the plants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the torts can reach the veggies, they will be eaten. If the torts cannot reach the vegges and the veggies are not touching poopy soil/dirt, then the veggies will not be contaminated.

I soak dozens of baby tortoises daily and then dump their poopy water into raised beds where I grow their food. The poopy water doesn't touch the leaves or the tops of the plants that I am feeding to them.

Reinolz

North Las Vegas
If the torts can reach the veggies, they will be eaten. If the torts cannot reach the vegges and the veggies are not touching poopy soil/dirt, then the veggies will not be contaminated.

I soak dozens of baby tortoises daily and then dump their poopy water into raised beds where I grow their food. The poopy water doesn't touch the leaves or the tops of the plants that I am feeding to them.
I was wondering if it's safe for humans to eat the vegetables.

Reinolz

North Las Vegas
Your tortoises will eat the plants. It would be just as easy to have separate enclosures (separate from the veg garden) and just pick up the tortoise poop on a regular basis and add it into the soil in the garden. To answer your question, I don't THINK any diseases would transfer from the poop into the plants.
Is it safe for my family and I to eat the vegetables from the Vegetable garden if Russian Tortoises are living in there ?

Reinolz

North Las Vegas
You're assuming the torts won't eat everything, right? Welcome to the forum, BTW. It's late. I'm confused. You're getting Russian tortoises for your garden bed so your garden will grow?
Yeah I'm assuming I should have some left over vegetables. What I'm wondering is.... Is it safe for humans to eat the vegetables from the plant bed that the tortoises are living in.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I was wondering if it's safe for humans to eat the vegetables.
I have a corner of my yard where I put tortoise poop, and I have a Sulcata...the poop makes for great fertilizer as tortoises are herbivores so their poop is more plant than it is feces. My neighbors all stopped buying fertilizer and they just use my poopie dirt...nobody has ever gotten sick that we blamed it on tortoise poop...and it makes really healthy plants

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you must be skimming the posts. It has been said now about three times: If your tortoise poop doesn't touch the plant or veggies, it IS safe for you to eat the veggies.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Raw manure can damage plants and harbor pathogens, including Salmonella and other normal reptile gut flora (which will invade plants and pass along into humans). In a confined space, such as a garden, pathogenic cultures are super-concentrated.

Animal waste should always be composted before using it on food plants.

While the image of free-range animals in a garden is whimsical, it is impractical.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I personally would not consider it safe, You don't know if the tortoise can climb on the plants, or cross contaminate the plants some how. To be on the safe side, I would have two separate gardens one for humans to eat and one for the tortoises to eat/climb on etc.

Reinolz

North Las Vegas
So I called two veterinarians and asked my question they told me "as long as I'm washing my vegetables good I should be fine" I've heard that salmonella and Ecoli can be passed through the fecal matter of Russian Tortoises. Is their an exam that specializes in searching for these diseases in the Russian Tortoises fecal matter ?

LeahK

Berkeley CA
So I called two veterinarians and asked my question they told me "as long as I'm washing my vegetables good I should be fine" I've heard that salmonella and Ecoli can be passed through the fecal matter of Russian Tortoises. Is their an exam that specializes in searching for these diseases in the Russian Tortoises fecal matter ?
From a microbiology perspective, all poop contains living organisms. Human and tortoise waste both have a large variety or microorganisms, including E. coli and salmonella. So does the soil. There’s a lot of information on the human gut microbiome, and I would assume tortoises are pretty similar.

The advice other people are giving you is good - wash the vegetables and make sure they’re not ground level. Personally, I would keep my tortoise separate from the food I grow for myself. They’ll trample everything.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
You can check. They can also get it at any point of their lives if they don’t have it now though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it can be tested for, and every tortoise on the planet will test positive. The soil will test positive. Other soil where there are no tortoises will test positive. Your cell phone and kitchen counter will test positive.

Again, if there is no contact with the food and tortoise poop, there will be no contamination.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... every time you turn around there's a recall on food from the grocery store. Many times it's either salmonella or e-coli. I'm sure that all those food processing places didn't have a tortoise living in it. It's more about getting animal poop on it and not washing it off. You also can get salmonella from your countertop or using a knife that you've used on chicken and then veggies without washing the knife between them. Or even not washing the chicken or veggies. Not everyone owns a tortoise and yet people get salmonella and e-coli. It's around us daily.?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
"Contamination of produce during preharvest production can occur from several sources: raw manure, improperly composted or treated manure, or contaminated soil or water."

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I think its funny that you THINK your going to still have vegetables with tortoise living in the garden. ? everything will be eaten unless your beds are raised 2 feet. Russians climb