Do Red-foots Burrow? New evidence

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My Brazilian red likes to dig a little hole and just keep his head out. :) My Columbian red likes to hide in his log.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
This guy lived with a baby Sulcata for his first month. No idea what was discussed, but he (tries) to dig burrows, likes to bask, even eats the occasional grass, despite every care sheet I've ever seen. Coincidence? You decide! :)

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I have never seen mine dig a hole or anything , They like to hide between the bushes and tall grass .

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Mine generally " burrows" into the moss in his hide box :) But in my fern garden, there are vertical walls of earth. He will dig in a couple of inches and then settle in for a nap. kind of employing the ostrich strategy

Ramus

5 Year Member
My baby redfoot completely digs himself in and borrows out in the morning.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Zeno, maybe your guy is related to my guys :D They completely bury themselves in moss or the base of plants. The only way I know where they are is searching for "breathing moss". Then they smell food coming and the giant moss piles start coming towards me. It's super adorable and hilarious at the same time.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My Tyrone like to burrow. He also like to dig holes hand have his kinky way with it. He will dig a hole and sleep in it. Then have his kinky way with it. He like to climb on top of mounds of substrate and have his kinky way with it. But he does like to dig.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are we calling the little hollowed out areas "tunnels" or are we calling tunnels the ones they dig under the soil, until they are covered all the way by the upper soil layer? Mine do the pits, but never have I saw a real tunnel.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Jacqui. Mine dig what I call pallets but no true burrows. I have read that they will utilize other animals burrows (giant armadillos for example) but don't dig their own.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I have never seen mine dig a hole or anything , They like to hide between the bushes and tall grass .
Same here...my torts usually hide. And man they blend in so well outside! I could lose them in a heartbeat :eek:. They are slow but so fast :D. Mine occasionally will dig deep in the grass, I think more so looking for bugs or something.

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
Mine digs as deep as he can and tries to get under as deep as pile of substrate as he can. That is the biggest pile of substrate is where he is