Do radiata live in groups or solitary in the wild?

enchilada

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Beach CA
just curious...

Do radiata live in groups or solitary in the wild ? because i see a lot people house more than one together.

and what is the actual estimate population? their number declined dramatically in Madagasca, but i heard there is a human introduced popultaion at Seychelles?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From the 'net:

Radiated Tortoise Behaviour and Lifestyle
Like many other Tortoise species found around the world, the Radiated Tortoise generally leads a fairly solitary life, although it is not uncommon for a number to be found grazing together (particularly around the breeding season). They are incredibly adaptable to the changing seasons from dry and arid to the heavy rains of the monsoon, when they are said to almost dance in the rain to shake it off. Radiated Tortoises also emit a loud screeching sound when startled to hopefully intimidate and then scare off the unwelcome predator. The Radiated Tortoise is a peaceful animal but will become aggressive towards individuals that it sees as a threat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They do a fair number of Madagascar presentations at the TTPG. Most of the photos of wild ones are solitary animals, except at feeding areas. Farmers there plant opuntia cactus in giant rings around their crops to keep the wild life out and the wild radiata love to eat the pads and fruit.

It is now believed that past population estimates were based on incorrect methodology. They estimate that at one time there were around 12 million of them back in the 70's and they estimate around 6.5 million left in the wild now. These are not good numbers, but the situation is not nearly as dire as some would like us to believe. Human encroachment is the greatest cause of this reduction in numbers. Indigenous people need places to live and farm, and they also need something to eat.

In captivity I have seen many cases of male/male aggression, but females are generally non-agressive.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
40 years, population declined half . :(:(:(
i read one female can lay 3-12 eggs per year. What are the average number of eggs laid and hatch rate in captivity?
Do you think it is possible to save this species through mass captive breeding?