Do people think you’re weird for owning tortoise/turtles

Laustin9

Location (City and/or State)
Topeka, KS
I have anxiety so that doesn’t help but I can’t help that people think I’m weird or crazy for owning tortoises such as a redfoot because most people haven’t seen that big of a turtle before so i just feel like they think I’m crazy. I don’t see how it’s any different from the people who have chickens in their backyard or big St. Bernard’s, etc.

Poisondwarf

Ashton-under-Lyne
I do feel the same. But it's entertaining to see people's faces when I'm walking my 1 yr old sulcata Angus up the street to his favourite grass patch. But honestly it's not weird, just people don't understand and really under estimate them. They are smarter than people think, can move faster too. They can and will respond to their name being called and will recognise different people. I love my Angus far more than I would an actual child. I spoil him rotten and it gives me the greatest joy to see him enjoying himself. I think tortoise owners rock!

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I think the fear of what other people think is something that we all go through at some point in our lives. I get shy and embarrassed sometimes like anyone else, but what it takes to make that happen has vastly shifted compared to certain times in my life.

When was the last time you thought someone was weird, and what impact did it have on them or you?

Not that owning a tortoise is the least bit weird, but people who really embrace being weird are happier for it.

I personally enjoy diversity and seeing people doing unusual things. If someone thinks you're weird, all it will mean is that they are more interested to talk to you. That's it. At most you may need to put up with a joke at your expense every once in a while but it will be related to deciding to drive a pink moped around or trying to grow an unbecoming blonde moustache, so easy to shrug off and admit it's rediculous.

BTW I currently drive a pink moped around, and periodically sport a patchy blonde moustache. No one has ever mentioned these things to me. They stand nothing to gain by pointing out the obvious. Someone did ask me why I like tortoises and I said 'I don't know, I just like them' and that was it.

Poisondwarf

Ashton-under-Lyne
I think the fear of what other people think is something that we all go through at some point in our lives. I get shy and embarrassed sometimes like anyone else, but what it takes to make that happen has vastly shifted compared to certain times in my life.

When was the last time you thought someone was weird, and what impact did it have on them or you?

Not that owning a tortoise is the least bit weird, but people who really embrace being weird are happier for it.

I personally enjoy diversity and seeing people doing unusual things. If someone thinks you're weird, all it will mean is that they are more interested to talk to you. That's it. At most you may need to put up with a joke at your expense every once in a while but it will be related to deciding to drive a pink moped around or trying to grow an unbecoming blonde moustache, so easy to shrug off and admit it's rediculous.

BTW I currently drive a pink moped around, and periodically sport a patchy blonde moustache. No one has ever mentioned these things to me. They stand nothing to gain by pointing out the obvious. Someone did ask me why I like tortoises and I said 'I don't know, I just like them' and that was it.
As you said absolutely nothing wrong with being weird. On your topic of your own little quirks I myself ride a green curser style motorbike, have the brightest green hair I can and do the most unusual things such as doing my own mechanics, wood work and metal to a fairly decent standard, rebuilding and cementing my garden walls to name a few. It's just not something people often see a young female doing and they do think I'm weird and it may get to some people but all I can say to any who's feeling anxious about what other people think is, you do you. Don't care what they think, they are weird too in their own way and may endeavour to hide it but no one is normal. What is normal today anyway lol. Be yourself embrace what makes you different and take a risk it just may pay off and boost your confidence to be the one that stands out above the rest. I lack confidence but I decided to sod it. I'm going to go to work on hero day dressed like the Joker. bear in mind I had to walk to and from work and had a great deal of people staring muttering and a good number more come to talk to me about it. I was nervous, it was definitely out of the norm but I'd do it again in a heart beat. It was really good to just do it, have a giggle and gain so much more confidence from that one moment.

be weird and stay weird ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have anxiety so that doesn’t help but I can’t help that people think I’m weird or crazy for owning tortoises such as a redfoot because most people haven’t seen that big of a turtle before so i just feel like they think I’m crazy. I don’t see how it’s any different from the people who have chickens in their backyard or big St. Bernard’s, etc.
Haha! I have 8 chickens, 1 cat, 2 tortoises and 3 dogs one of which is a newfoundland! I am used to people thinking I am weird and it doesn’t bother me one bit sin e that means I am nothing like them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what I tell my teenage daughter: Pursue excellence in whatever interests you. Don't care what other people think. Show no interest in their opinions. Ignore the detractors, and thank the complimenters, and then go about your business of pursuing excellence. People who are interested in conforming never achieve greatness. If some people don't like you or what you are doing, then you are not doing it right. Lead by example. Don't be a follower.

When you can truly stop caring what other people think, you free yourself from the terrible shackles of mediocrity. You only get one life (I think...), so you better LIVE that life, rather than hiding from it and playing it safe. Be bold and adventurous. You'll make mistakes. Learn from them and do better next time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Animal lovers are the best of humans. A person that can love the more uncommon animals are the best of the best.
I can bet those that think you are weird are lesser of a person then you!
I'm proud to love my animals, pet tortoises, chickens, lizard and dog and all the rest I have had in the past. I don't care what people think and no true friend would say that too you to make you feel bad.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here is what I tell my teenage daughter: Pursue excellence in whatever interests you. Don't care what other people think. Show no interest in their opinions. Ignore the detractors, and thank the complimenters, and then go about your business of pursuing excellence. People who are interested in conforming never achieve greatness. If some people don't like you or what you are doing, then you are not doing it right. Lead by example. Don't be a follower.

When you can truly stop caring what other people think, you free yourself from the terrible shackles of mediocrity. You only get one life (I think...), so you better LIVE that life, rather than hiding from it and playing it safe. Be bold and adventurous. You'll make mistakes. Learn from them and do better next time.
Great post but OMG, you are getting old LOL A teenage daughter! I still remember the first pic I seen of her, she was little, maybe 5 or 6. Those years went fast.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Don't let others interfere with your hobbies and what your interests are. It's a waste of negative energy. IF you ENJOY turtles/tortoises. GREAT. Be proud of it. I show off my tortoise at work and have a picture next to my desk. If you tell me he's cute great, if you cringe, great. It doesn't matter what they think because it's what makes me happy, not them.

Don't be ashamed! Turtles/torts are awesome.
In fact, my cousin made me a sweatshirt that says turtle mom with a turtle on it. I wear it with pride!

-Taylor

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Haha! I have 8 chickens, 1 cat, 2 tortoises and 3 dogs one of which is a newfoundland! I am used to people thinking I am weird and it doesn’t bother me one bit sin e that means I am nothing like them!
I can’t even imagine what people must think of me….What I know is this.. you have only one life to live.. taking care of animals makes me happy.. people often don’t ( make me happy) … so who’s opinion do you think I care more for???

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I had a mail carrier see me outside walking Ink in the front yard. She said "That is a disgusting pet, why would you have that?" I said "I find some people disgusting and rude should I tell them? I would be careful..he bites." She then apologized. She still thinks he bites?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I had a mail carrier see me outside walking Ink in the front yard. She said "That is a disgusting pet, why would you have that?" I said "I find some people disgusting and rude should I tell them? I would be careful..he bites." She then apologized. She still thinks he bites?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Personally...I mostly don't care what people think of me. I was an OTR truck driver. A white almost 50 yr old woman driving a big truck...weird...involved in illegal (CENSORED)...weird...have been in(CENSORED)..a woman involved in classic muscle cars ...weird...right now I have 4 tortoises, 11 box turtles 15 parakeets and 2 unusal cats...did operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue... weird....I am not just weird... I am freakin weird and not ashamed of it!!!
1625007113345.jpg

harrythetortoise

Virginia
OMG... personally I would get very offended if anyone said that about my tortoise!! She needs to know if she has nothing good to say about something, she does have the option of not saying anything at all! So rude..

harrythetortoise

Virginia
It never really occurred to me that some people might think of me as crazy for having a tortoise. Because what's so crazy about it? Also, it doesn't really matter what people think of you, as long as you enjoy what you do, and don't do anything illegal ?