Do my Tortoises look right to you all?

Dayday

Location (City and/or State)
London uk
6D3F0D41-929C-4723-A9F5-121C82DD62BF.jpeg they are med spur Thighed and eat well,
They are in their 3rd year and I wanted to be careful so I’m gonna hibernation them next winter, I weigh and measure them properly and the Jackson ratio states they are under weight, I was quite shocked and am now worried,
Queenie the larger one has a nice smooth shell and the other Shelly has some little bumps what I do t believe ate priamiding but I would like a second opinion, they have both had the same diet of weeds and supplements and now in winter they eat sping greens and some butternut squash today, they seam happy, I just hope I haven’t over feed them, I would hate for them not to be happy, as I’m over wintering them I’m bathing them 2-3 times a week in warm water and have the lights on 14 hours a day, what do they look like to you guys?
Thanks

Dave ( new comer)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum.

They look okay from what I can see in the single pic.

Your substrate looks a little dry and dusty. I'd add some dampness.

If you are feeding the correct foods, you can't over feed them. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry, not by food.

Tortoises should never live together as a pair. Groups can sometimes work, but not pairs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Dave!

The tortoises look fine to me. The Jackson ratio is a guide, not a hard, fast rule. Just feed them as much as they'll eat in a day and stop worrying.

Dayday

London uk
11CEFBB1-32C9-489A-AD23-9F7B171B1887.jpeg 6DC41DE2-F869-49A4-8578-524DDEBA9402.jpeg DCDA7DBB-2DA6-4EC8-9C16-226E957652EA.jpeg AA1027BB-CDED-4F18-8AA0-20DDDB5AB0A9.jpeg 95140E02-FFCC-4C2B-B21C-1EB4DD6AB913.jpeg E2956C65-AF13-4DBD-B884-5641F4DE3A47.jpeg 89C9C154-7FA1-4C2F-B591-E913062B7D53.jpeg Thanks for your kind words, I got them from a reputable a breeder when they were nearly a year old, they seem happy and I try my best to grow my own weeds for them. I use 6 seed trays with soil and some tortoise friendly weeds and rotate them, but I do sometimes give them kamodo tortoise dandelion and fruit food what I wet first, they seem to love it, and alway give them spend greens from supermarket the substrate is especially made for Mediterranean tortoises, I’ve use top soil and play sand before but it makes them very dirty, I change the food and water daly and bath them weekly in warm water, I was just concerned as they eat the same but one of them has raised plates, (Shelly) with little bumps, and Queenie has a very sooth shell with no bumps at all,
I’ll sent some more pictures so you can all see, I have a really nice out doors enclosure what they love, lots too little hill and hids and tortoise friendly staff plants, I have dug down a lot and made it escape prof and have heavy duty chicken wire all over the top to stop any unwanted predators, or
Have I missed anything guys?
I used to have a tortoise years ago in the 80s
In my garden but back then we didn’t know there needs then, my day bought me “Fred “ for £6 down the Roman road market with no CITIES PAPERWORK poor little things,
I’ll up load some more pictures.

Dave

Dayday

London uk
So am I working over nothing? Also what substrate do you advice as a said the top soil n play sand made them so dirty and this medateraian substrate says it’s the best but they would say the mat at £10 a bag and I need 2 Or 3 at a time, I thought of dryed coco, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for reply’s your all very helpful,

Dave

Oogway the russian tort

So am I working over nothing? Also what substrate do you advice as a said the top soil n play sand made them so dirty and this medateraian substrate says it’s the best but they would say the mat at £10 a bag and I need 2 Or 3 at a time, I thought of dryed coco, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for reply’s your all very helpful,

Dave
that's all fine infact what i use in my backyard is a combo of native soil, play sand, coco, cypress mulch, and topsoil(make sure all have no weird chemicals). The cypress and coco will help retain some moisture while the other 3 are there to fill in the gaps. Hope that helps :) .