1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Do I still need to change the substrate?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by Pure Tortoise Power, Jul 16, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Pure Tortoise Power

Pure Tortoise Power Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Hong Kong
    I know changing substrate is for keeping the enclosure clean. But do I still need to do it when there are a big number of springtails inside the substrate?
  2. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It’s really best and more economical to “spot” clean, ie, routinely/daily check out your torts’s enclosure removing old food, animal waste, etc. Then, every once in awhile, remove some substrate and add new substrate back in. But, there’s no reason to just willy nilly toss and replace. Depending on the size of your enclosure, that can get very expensice fast AND it also disorients your torts environment when done.

Conduct daily spot checks, remove waste, add new substrate occasionally, and let your springtails earn their keep!

Good luck