Do I return this found tortoise?

Location (City and/or State)
Bridge
Hi Sherlock, I just went thru exactly what you are going through. I also think you should ask a lot of questions to make sure that person is the rightful owner and if it is, then by all rights, you should return him. Mine was "dumped", found him walking on my street by my house, which was very strange. After many media posts, alerting our village police - no answer. Had him for about 3 weeks and found a very nice guy with a Russian Tortoise looking for a second and gave mine to him as I have 7 cats and was difficult for me to keep up. You are a gem and I know how attached you've become. Good luck.
Thanks you, that really made me feel better that you understand.

Bridge
UPDATE! We got in touch with the owner, and made careful checks that he was the owner - all checked out fine. They were delighted to have the tortoise back and so grateful that we had saved him and taken such good care of him, and have now reunited them. So - a happy ending all round, in that he is back with his family and that they are caring owners.

I want to say a big thank you for the constructive advice and understanding comments, you really helped me and reassured me, and made this easier. I feel a weight lifted from my shoulders.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Outdoor torts can easily go unnoticed since most hide during the day when it's bright out. Also most outdoor enclosures are heavily planted to provide protection and shade so they can be easy to miss. I also would echo the owners may not have known where to post, or may have posted in areas you don't frequent. It doesn't mean they weren't looking and frantically miss their baby. You should ask for a picture to confirm this is their tortoise, give it back if it is, and go get your own new baby to love and care for.
And a double ?yep.

Bowsersmom1

Alabama
We have a baby he fits in the palm of my hand. He can fly across the yard if something gets his interest. When we have outside time now we wrap a pipe cleaner around him so we can see it bobbing thru the grass. They get their mind to go in 1 direction you can turn them around 50 times and they still go for the spot they wanted. We spent many a minutes hunting before the pipe cleaner idea.

Attachments

• 66780379-6D3B-45B9-8446-11AF8809938C.jpeg
    66780379-6D3B-45B9-8446-11AF8809938C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
UPDATE! We got in touch with the owner, and made careful checks that he was the owner - all checked out fine. They were delighted to have the tortoise back and so grateful that we had saved him and taken such good care of him, and have now reunited them. So - a happy ending all round, in that he is back with his family and that they are caring owners.

I want to say a big thank you for the constructive advice and understanding comments, you really helped me and reassured me, and made this easier. I feel a weight lifted from my shoulders.
Have you gotten hooked yet? And you even have a somewhat close neighbor and forever friend for pointers. Plus us ?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Owners take pictures of pets and tortoise have unique scutes so I would ask for a clear shell picture and match it up and if you are satisfied then return to owner. Tortoise are escape merchants and like to wander it needs to go home.
Don't rule them out because of no pictures either. Myself, I have very few pictures of any of my animals.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
We have a baby he fits in the palm of my hand. He can fly across the yard if something gets his interest. When we have outside time now we wrap a pipe cleaner around him so we can see it bobbing thru the grass. They get their mind to go in 1 direction you can turn them around 50 times and they still go for the spot they wanted. We spent many a minutes hunting before the pipe cleaner idea.
Can't wait to see what you put on him when he's 7 yrs old. Great idea!!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

Bowsersmom,​

I love the pipe cleaner Idea. I was even thinking of a way to attach an Apple Air Tag, with velcro, or maybe a Harness. I have a large yard and my old roommates Sulcata was about 10" in diameter, He (PeeWee) could hide right in front of your face...another "Magician"

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Bowsersmom,​

I love the pipe cleaner Idea. I was even thinking of a way to attach an Apple Air Tag, with velcro, or maybe a Harness. I have a large yard and my old roommates Sulcata was about 10" in diameter, He (PeeWee) could hide right in front of your face...another "Magician"
My little Russian hides like a magician also. Before I put even one foot inside his enclosure, I make sure he won't be under it... and that's when I haven't been able to find him. Sometimes he's in a corner in plain sight but just blends in to well.