Do I need to change the mulch?

Tortstrip

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I have cypress mulch in my baby sulcata’s enclosure that ranges from 80-95% humidity. I’m worried that with all of the moisture the mulch is going to mold. Do I need to change it out occasionally? If so how often?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have cypress mulch in my baby sulcata’s enclosure that ranges from 80-95% humidity. I’m worried that with all of the moisture the mulch is going to mold. Do I need to change it out occasionally? If so how often?
IF it grows mold. Yes. And it means its staying too wet. It shouldn't mold.
If it doesn't mold, just spot clean it as needed.

Zillafire

Naples florida
The Cypress Mulch is not a bad thing to swap out when you can. I use it around trees so nothing is wasted, even the waste is not wasted
No I have not seen any unusually nice Tree growth but it makes me feel good.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Ive been using cypress mulch for years in our Sully’s enclosures. Often wetted down, very moist, high humidity... never any mold or mildew.

I would imagine in a very small enclosure, with limited air flow (in the corners) that maybe some mold might form. But, if your enclosure is a good size, and you mix the substrate about every once in awhile, you are good to go.

As far as mixing/changing it about. When our enclosure was small & our sully small, i would often mix the substrate about and mix in new amounts, sometimes removing some, sometimes not. In general though, your cypress mulch shouldn't mildew or mold up.

Happy torting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No you don't. Spot clean any leftover food or poop daily and it should last a long time. Years.