Do cherry heads really stay smaller than redfoots?

Zoeclare

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
When I was researching what species of tortoise to choose I fell in love with redfoots instantly. I read that the cherry heads stay smaller with some sources even calling them "dwarf", however by scrolling back through some older threads here ive realised this may not be the case but it seems a debatable topic with some staying smaller and also some monsters getting just as big as redfoots, is there much size difference really?

zovick

10 Year Member!
When I was researching what species of tortoise to choose I fell in love with redfoots instantly. I read that the cherry heads stay smaller with some sources even calling them "dwarf", however by scrolling back through some older threads here ive realised this may not be the case but it seems a debatable topic with some staying smaller and also some monsters getting just as big as redfoots, is there much size difference really?
A cherry head is still a redfoot. It is just a redfoot from a specific geographical area in South America as I understand it. Not sure about the purported size differential being a valid thing. Maybe some others will have more to add. @cdmay, @Toddrickfl1 ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They stay smaller.
But not so much so that you'd think one was a dwarf.
Cherries reach 12" or so. Usually less.
Northern Redfoot rarely reach 14".
Bolivian maybe 16" although that's unusual.
Everything up to full size is nearly identical. As is the general care.
Only something like a Bolivian kept outdoors in optimal conditions would become much larger.
Any of these kept in something like an aquarium, will likely be stunted.
And yes. They are all Redfoot tortoises.
They all need the same space as they grow.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've heard that the Cherry heads stay smaller. I don't have enough experience to say for sure. The one I'm raising now is my first. I think in the pet trade though the bloodlines are so mixed up. Finding a Cherry head that's a true one like the original ones deemed "Cherry heads" is probably a lot harder these days. Them staying small might have been a characteristic of the original Cherry heads. Since their bloodlines have been so mixed with typical northerns that might be a trait not found in a lot of the "Cherry Heads" being sold today.

Zoeclare

Uk
Thanks for the replies! @Toddrickfl1 I wondered if that was the case, that maybe there was an 'original group that was smaller but the bloodlines have been diluted over the years.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the replies! @Toddrickfl1 I wondered if that was the case, that maybe there was an 'original group that was smaller but the bloodlines have been diluted over the years.
To answer your question above, it really does not appear so. From what I have been able to find, the size difference is hardly worth mentioning; it seems the adult size of the "cherryheads" is only about an inch or two less than all but the largest of the largest race of Redfoots. The "genetically pure" adult cherryheads are reported to get up to 14" while the largest Bolivian Redfoots (the largest race) are 16" or so.

The reports of the cherryheads being smaller or "dwarfs" were reportedly made up by unscrupulous dealers in an effort to get higher prices for the cherryheads when they were first being imported, and like many urban legends, it is a hard thing to kill once it gets hold and has been repeated often enough.

Give this site a read: https://tortoiselove.weebly.com/types-of-red-foot-tortoises.html

Zoeclare

Uk
To answer your question above, it really does not appear so. From what I have been able to find, the size difference is hardly worth mentioning; it seems the adult size of the "cherryheads" is only about an inch or two less than all but the largest of the largest race of Redfoots. The "genetically pure" adult cherryheads are reported to get up to 14" while the largest Bolivian Redfoots (the largest race) are 16" or so.

The reports of the cherryheads being smaller or "dwarfs" were reportedly made up by unscrupulous dealers in an effort to get higher prices for the cherryheads when they were first being imported, and like many urban legends, it is a hard thing to kill once it gets hold and has been repeated often enough.

Give this site a read: https://tortoiselove.weebly.com/types-of-red-foot-tortoises.html
Thank you @zovick its a really interesting read!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

I agree, great read. I've seen this article before somewhere but haven't been able to find it again.

Zoeclare

Uk
Another random question, I've seen adverts for 'blonde cherry heads' or 'black cherry heads' what's the difference there? Just more or less of a certain pigment?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Another random question, I've seen adverts for 'blonde cherry heads' or 'black cherry heads' what's the difference there? Just more or less of a certain pigment?
Just a marketing ploy.

amee.burton

Maine
I watch a guy on youtube named Kenan, he has both redfoots and cherry heads and has videos on there showing the differences in them, size, color etc. you should check it out, his channel is kamp kenan

Zoeclare

Uk
Some of his videos are cool but he doesn't always do things right, for example he houses different hatchling species together! I have watched his redfoot/cherry videos though ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Kenan has his entertainement value and some care is good, but some especially babies is very lacking

amee.burton

Maine
I only posted in regards to the thread question of size difference, he has a decent amount of both and shows the differences, I like to have a visual so thought it may help OP to see the differences, not sure about his baby care.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I only posted in regards to the thread question of size difference, he has a decent amount of both and shows the differences, I like to have a visual so thought it may help OP to see the differences, not sure about his baby care.
Oh no hate here, and having a visual reference always helps that is why we ask for photos. BTW I subscribe to his Youtube