Do baby box turtles need calcium?

So I just got my baby ornate box turtle eating and need to know if they need a calcium supplement. I've heard they don't need it with uvb lighting is that true? If they do do they need with or without d3? Do they need a multivitamin?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
No, they need calcium. A growing baby turtle needs UVB, and calcium, to make strong shell, and bones.

No, they need calcium. A growing baby turtle needs UVB, and calcium, to make strong shell, and bones.
Ok thanks with or without d3 I just ordered with d3 is that ok? I also ordered reptivite just to be safe do I need that too ?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
With D3 is fine. When it's sunny out get your baby some real sunshine.

About a half a year old I've had him since Christmas and got him to eat for the first time today he ate a cricket but I offer him other stuff like mealworms and earthworms and some beef heart and let him chose.
Not if your giving them a good diet and dusting with calcium. What are you feeding and exactly how old are they?
So does the multivitiamin do anything extra if you are feeding a good diet?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
About a half a year old I've had him since Christmas and got him to eat for the first time today he ate a cricket but I offer him other stuff like mealworms and earthworms and some beef heart and let him chose.

So does the multivitiamin do anything extra if you are feeding a good diet?
I don't Think it will hurt anything. If you have already ordered it I certainly would not return it, just use it up. you can decide later if you want to reorder or not. Use it lightly, too much of a good thing can be bad.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Here's a pic
He's awesome!!! I wouldn't give him a choice. Cut up a few different types of worms, mushrooms (it's a plant protein) and the beefheart and mix it all up into a "mash" so to speak. This way he has no choice but to eat different types of protein. At 6 months old he not likely to eat veggies or fruit yet but you should start offering it. Mine flip out for cantaloupe. Have you seen the care sheets in the American box turtle section of the specific species section of this site? It goes into more more detail about what to feed and how to do it.