DIY Cages: Critter Condo [48"X24"X24"]

cdumitru78

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Thank you @originquilt, that is good to know, I saw it on their website as well. I was planning to use a basking light and a regular 10w UVB light, that works with my current set up and they are housed inside where temps never drop below 67. Good to know that the chamber works for you so far, I am very tempted to order one. Do you have the 36 inch or the 48 inch version?

originquilt

Irvine
I have the 48" version. My prior setup was about 33" so I figured if I was upgrading I might as well go much bigger than the old one.

originquilt

Irvine
@method89 - yes I am happy with the enclosure. I did have to tape off majority of the vent on the side to keep the humidity up to the level that I desire but it's not hard for a not-so-handy person like myself at all. I expect my Tiddles to be able to have enough room for at least another couple years (currently 10 months old) so it's definitely worth the $$.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
@method89 - yes I am happy with the enclosure. I did have to tape off majority of the vent on the side to keep the humidity up to the level that I desire but it's not hard for a not-so-handy person like myself at all. I expect my Tiddles to be able to have enough room for at least another couple years (currently 10 months old) so it's definitely worth the $$.
Thanks for the update

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Yes, I'm still quite happy with the enclosure. It's a good hatchling/yearling enclosure that gave me and Darwin enough time to get ready for the next thing.

Jamie

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Yes, I'm still quite happy with the enclosure. It's a good hatchling/yearling enclosure that gave me and Darwin enough time to get ready for the next thing.

Jamie
Great, Thanks for the update.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
It's holding up well, as is the 3x4 PVC tank I made from the 4x8 sheet of expanded PVC.

I'm a big fan of the expanded PVC, and will be building another this year.

Jamie

KBeam

Central Illinois
It's great.

I wish it was bigger, but it is what it is.

It holds temperature and humidity very nicely, after I sealed a number of the vents (and I put a sleeping pad on top for insulation).

At the price point, I strongly recommend it.

Jamie
I’ve seen people put more than one together with “tunnels” as their tortoise grows.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
A few days ago I ordered a DIY Cages Critter Condo for Darwin, my redfoot hatchling; it arrived today and I assembled it this afternoon.

I ordered it from the manufacturer's page on Ebay, and it was $297, shipped. I've seen the threads on making your own, but it seemed questionable as to whether that'd be either (or both) more expensive and less attractive in the end, so I went with a prefab that I could assemble.

pvc243624-black_large.jpg

This is what mine looks like, except mine's in a way messier office. It's made from CF/PVC, has sliding glass doors, includes a thermometer and a hygrometer with internal sensors, and comes with fixtures and wiring for both an incandescent and a fluorescent light.

It comes in a flat pack, but is relatively easy to put together (even the lighting) ... the only thing I did extra was run a bead of silicone around the bottom joins, and about four inches up each corner join, to prevent water from leaving via the seams.

I know it won't work for Darwin when he's an adult, but that's a problem for "a couple of years from now Jamie".

I was impressed with how sturdy the enclosure is when assembled, while still weighing in at a bit less than 50 pounds.

I was also impressed by how responsive the people at DIY Cages are ... I called the number on their website, confused by something in the directions, and a guy called back within a couple of minutes to walk me through it ... the fluorescent light didn't work when I first turned it on, and when I called the number again, the guy called back, again, within a few minutes with an offer to send a new light fixture overnight, but by that time, I'd fiddled with the bulb and got everything working.

I think it's possible that the slits in the side for ventilation will allow too much moisture and heat to escape, but it should be a relatively easy thing to cover some/most/all of the slits once I've got it up and running.

I'll post more pictures in the coming days and weeks as I transition Darwin into his new home, and he gets used to his fancy digs.

Jamie
I love mine but I did some modifications for my lighting
1C4C7484-21CC-4AD7-8A2E-6F64D74609CC.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I was thinking about getting this, could I install my 80 watt RHP in this?
That would probably work. I use two 28 watt panels in a converted 75 gallon tank and that's enough to hold the temperature I set.

DanH44

Syracuse NY
I just wanted to make sure it is safe due to temperatures and the material the enclosure is made from

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just wanted to make sure it is safe due to temperatures and the material the enclosure is made from
Should be fine just use a thermostat. You can touch the panel with your hand for a few seconds and it won't burn you. It's only hot on one side. The side you mount to the enclosure does not get hot.

L

LasTortugasNinja

These look interesting, and I love the design. I just wish they made them big enough for adult animals bigger than a leopard gecko. They need a 60x36x36 for Ackies and other moderate-sized lizards. :)