Distorted shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narattah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok, Thailand
I have found an Aldabra juvenile with a distorted shell on sale here where I live. It is about 20% cheaper than the normal ones, but still nobody wants it.

My question is this; Would an Aldabra or any tortoise with a distorted shell grow up to have a normal shell in their adult life? Any chances at all?

Does anyone have any experience in raising tortoises with distorted or imperfect shells? Also what is the cause of this?

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
finleafeater said:

Sorry they would not allow me to take photos at the store.
How can I explain this... the middle-top part of the shell is imbalance if you look at it straight in front of the tortoise.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Are you saying the tortoise isn't perfectly domed, that it is somewhat lop-sided?

Many times this is a result of the position of the baby in the egg, and they will eventually "grow into themselves," but there is no real way of knowing. If it is mild, there is no reason that it cannot grow up to live a healthy and full life.

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
kyryah said:
Are you saying the tortoise isn't perfectly domed, that it is somewhat lop-sided?

Many times this is a result of the position of the baby in the egg, and they will eventually "grow into themselves," but there is no real way of knowing. If it is mild, there is no reason that it cannot grow up to live a healthy and full life.

Yes, you are correct. The dome shape is imperfect. The shop owner said that they will remain unchanged as they grow up since it is a birth defect.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have one adult female that has a lopsided shell. The shell continued to grow from day one lopsided, however she is fully functional and has no issues. She produces eggs and has good fertility. Her hatchlings have always been normal. I would determine if it is just a nonsemetric shell or some kind of deformity growth issue. A picture would be off great value regarding this question. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.