Distance of mvb to basking spot?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I recently purchased a new mvb. I decided to down the wattage to 100, but I'm finding I have to lower the fixture to achieve the right basking temp. How close is too close? His bulb is sitting about 12" from the substrate. I am concerned because I'm noticing some pinky marks on his head...they could be staining from the radicchio he's been eating, but I'm worried it could be like a sunburn?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Thanks. I base my height on temp readings too. Until I get my hands on a uv meter, does a foot sound like an inappropriate distance? I know you can't know for sure, but based on experience, is it unheard of? I'm fairly new to mvbs. My last one was a much higher wattage, so it was mounted much higher, and I didn't have to even think about it.

I'm just trying to judge whether I should get a new bulb, I don't have much longer to return this one.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Usually the manufacturer of the bulb will provide recommendations on how high the bulb should be mounted. 12" shouldn't normally be an issue. My MVB is 14" off of the substrate and about 12" above carapace height.