Dislocated Jaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have a 6 month old leopard that somehow dislocated his jaw while I wasn't home. Maybe climbed over his cage mate and flipped over, then dislocated it trying to get back over?

Anyways, going to the vet tomorrow but was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen. He looks like he now has a massive underbite and I can see his tounge.

For those of you that have had this happen before, what was the treatment? If you don't mind how much did it cost? How was the recovery?

Thanks in advance.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Sorry I have never had this happen.

I just wanted to say I hope your little guy is doing well.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks.
He is in pain and stressed, I can tell. I soaked him this morning and he just sat there; eyes closed. I'm calling the vet to see if I can get him in sooner.
Keep your fingers crossed that he makes it.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
tortoiselady528 said:
Thanks.
He is in pain and stressed, I can tell. I soaked him this morning and he just sat there; eyes closed. I'm calling the vet to see if I can get him in sooner.
Keep your fingers crossed that he makes it.

Oooooo, poor guy.
My fingers are ALL crossed.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sorry to hear about your little and his pain. Good wishes your way. I too have never had this problem Please post what the vet has to say and Good luck to you both for a speedy recovery.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Is the jaw swollen?
Could it be metabolic bone disease?

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Just got home from the vet a bit ago.

His jaw seemed to have "popped out of alignment" as the vet put it. He completely re-set the jaw/beak and had to do some trimming to help it stay in alignment.

Cam- It was a combination of trauma and poor husbandry in his previous enviornment. I have only had him one month (if that) and have been working on getting him on a better diet. He is 42 grams and the size of my month old hatchling, he is suppose to be six months old.

Hopefully he is on the road to recovery. I am feeding mazuri as soft food for now, but he already seems much more comfortable.

Thank you all so much for you good wishes.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I am so glad it was a relatively easy fix...I was worried he would end up having to have his jaw wired or something.
He is VERY lucky to have you:)
I hope everything stays where it is supposed to be and he 'beefs up' a bit too;)

Take care....
Colleen

tortoiselady528 said:
Just got home from the vet a bit ago.

His jaw seemed to have "popped out of alignment" as the vet put it. He completely re-set the jaw/beak and had to do some trimming to help it stay in alignment.

Cam- It was a combination of trauma and poor husbandry in his previous enviornment. I have only had him one month (if that) and have been working on getting him on a better diet. He is 42 grams and the size of my month old hatchling, he is suppose to be six months old.

Hopefully he is on the road to recovery. I am feeding mazuri as soft food for now, but he already seems much more comfortable.

Thank you all so much for you good wishes.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Good to hear he is doing better already keep up the good work. It sound like he is one lucky tort to have found your loving heart and hands.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks everyone. He is doing much better already.
He was up this morning and ready for food at his normal time, and very wide eyed as I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.