Disinfecting an outdoor run

Location (City and/or State)
Norfolk england
My tortoises portable outdoor enclosure has recently broke so I’ve had to go back to using his old one. However, we have a few problems with it. It’s wooden and it’s been left outside (but it’s not rotten so don’t worry) where we live we have a lot of wildlife so we definitely need to disinfect it. Can anyone tell me how they would clean it and what they would use please?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Not too sure what you are trying to “disinfect against”. I would open the entire outdoor enclosure up to sunlight. Clean up anything that looks rotten or moldy. Refresh the substrate. Remove and thoroughly clean any terra cotta water or food bowls. Other than that, i don’t see any need for “disinfecting”. Rain & sunshine does a lot.

Ps - what kind of tortoise? Upload some pix of your enclosures. Welcome to the Forum

Reactions: Tom
Norfolk england
Greetings. Not too sure what you are trying to “disinfect against”. I would open the entire outdoor enclosure up to sunlight. Clean up anything that looks rotten or moldy. Refresh the substrate. Remove and thoroughly clean any terra cotta water or food bowls. Other than that, i don’t see any need for “disinfecting”. Rain & sunshine does a lot.

Ps - what kind of tortoise? Upload some pix of your enclosures. Welcome to the Forum

Brilliant thank you, I just thought I would check before I put him out tomorrow when it says it’s gonna be hot. His name is Doug and he’s is a Russian tortoise (horsefield). His outdoor enclosure/run does look a bit beat up (which I’m gonna fix now) and doesn’t look that big in the picture but it’s not that small I promise.

CEED9272-F12C-4102-96A6-86BFDC22B1A3.jpeg72692BC9-3834-49A9-A110-AD4ECC3AFDC3.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Brilliant thank you, I just thought I would check before I put him out tomorrow when it says it’s gonna be hot. His name is Doug and he’s is a Russian tortoise (horsefield). His outdoor enclosure/run does look a bit beat up (which I’m gonna fix now) and doesn’t look that big in the picture but it’s not that small I promise.
You can disinfect surfaces with a solution of bleach and water. Put one third of a cup of household bleach into one gallon of water to make the solution. Then apply it to the areas you want to disinfect and leave it on for one minute or more. Rinse off thoroughly with clean water and you are done. Note: make sure the bleach used contains sodium hypochlorite.

You can also disinfect surfaces with ethyl or isopropyl alcohol. Make sure whatever you use says it is at least 70% alcohol to be effective.

Norfolk england
You can disinfect surfaces with a solution of bleach and water. Put one third of a cup of household bleach into one gallon of water to make the solution. Then apply it to the areas you want to disinfect and leave it on for one minute or more. Rinse off thoroughly with clean water and you are done. Note: make sure the bleach used contains sodium hypochlorite.

You can also disinfect surfaces with ethyl or isopropyl alcohol. Make sure whatever you use says it is at least 70% alcohol to be effective.

Okay thank you, would you recommend that I leave a period of time before I put him back in just in case?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Okay thank you, would you recommend that I leave a period of time before I put him back in just in case?
If you rinse the surfaces off with water thoroughly and then let them air dry (in the sun if that is an option to speed up the drying process), you should be fine. I have done this many times over the years (with the bleach solution mostly but occasionally with alcohol as well) and never experienced problems.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not to beat a dead horse, but I’m just wondering what exactly we are trying to kill here? Bad bugs, ants, mold, algae, fungus, or, it just hasnt been used for some time? How about a bucket of soapy water, a brush, scrub down spray off with the hose. Sun dry. Just wondering....

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Not to beat a dead horse, but I’m just wondering what exactly we are trying to kill here? Bad bugs, ants, mold, algae, fungus, or, it just hasn't been used for some time? How about a bucket of soapy water, a brush, scrub down spray off with the hose. Sun dry. Just wondering....
I have used Bill's process before and generally I do it when I have to reuse a tub or enclosure for new tortoises and wanted to eliminate any pathogens that might remain from the old. This same process can be used in quarantine situations or when caring for sick animals. @zovick will have more to add.