Discolored urates

Aces1719

Location (City and/or State)
Wadsworth
Hello everyone,

So I just got done soaking my adult Russian and he has passed pinkish/red urates. A couple days ago he passed what seemed like pink mixed with some brown urates. Hes never done this in the 5 or so years I've had him. I know that certain food like dandelions can cause discoloring, but he doesnt eat those. I was wondering if maybe it could be a strawberry that he ate a week or two ago or possibly the Portobello mushrooms that I recently fed him. Thanks for any information given!

P.S. that strawberry was the only piece of fruit he's eaten in years.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, welcome to the Forum, i see that you are newcomer on the Forum. As you already stated, foods can & do cause discoloration in urates/urine etc. I doubt it’s from a single strawberry fed two weeks ago, but, portabellos are pretty dark. Soo, Depending how many your tort ate, I could see how the mushrooms could have caused the issue.

How many mushrooms were consumed?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think dandelions can discover too if I remember right.
Btw, fruit is bad for Russians. It screws up the wanted and needed gut flora and fauna.

Aces1719

Wadsworth
Greetings, welcome to the Forum, i see that you are newcomer on the Forum. As you already stated, foods can & do cause discoloration in urates/urine etc. I doubt it’s from a single strawberry fed two weeks ago, but, portabellos are pretty dark. Soo, Depending how many your tort ate, I could see how the mushrooms could have caused the issue.

How many mushrooms were consumed?
A decent amount. I gave him probably 5 or 6 chunks about the size of a nickel the past few days. He seems to really like them