digestive upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkling13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
central NY
Hi everyone my Red Foot Tortollini and I are in need of some advice. I've had Tortollini for about a year now (she's about 7 or so judging by her size) and everything had been going quite well until I woke up this morning and discovered she'd had a bad night. She basicly rejected everything in her digestive system in just a few hours. There were about two fairly normal looking large poops, then about two that were only partially digested, and then finally a pile of what was obviously the winter squash and strawberry she had last night. The stuff from last night I'm not even sure which end it came out of, can tortoises throw up? It wasn't digested all but I saw her eat it yesterday. Shes been eating and acting just fine up until this and the only thing husbandry wise that was a bit out of the ordinary was I gave her a cooked chicken egg the day before yesterday. Is it possible she got some form of food poisoning from the egg? Diet wise she gets a rotating schedule of leafy greens (usually red or green lettuce or dandelion greens), the ZooMed tropical tortoise hay cubes (well soaked), vegetables and a bit of friut (currently on the menue is winter squash and strawberry). About once a month I give her protien usually an egg or a bit of plain cooked chicken (its only this infrequent because of the theories relating pyramiding to excess protien and she came to me with quite a bit of pyramiding already). I
always make sure the egg or chicken isn't cooked in oil or anything, usually the egg is hardboiled or scrambled and cooked in the microwave like her most recent one.

I also just wanted to add that her water gets changed every day and she has a reptile fogger in her enclosure to increase her humidity (its on a timer to kick on for 15 min every hour then shuts off at night). She has a UVA/UVB light on during the day and a ceramic heat emitter at night so her temps stay in the 80's. I don't know if any of that helps I just want to make sure I provide enough background info. And a preemptive thank you! to amyone who can help. I just discovered this right before work and if she still seems to be having trouble tonight then we'll schedule a trip to the vet for tomorrow.

arotester

5 Year Member
Boiled egg once in a while is ok and i don't think it's the egg that caused this .If your lighting(plus heat) and diet is OK, I would continue to watch the tort and if the vomiting continues, I would seriously consider going to see a reptile vet. Vomiting, along with loosing weight even though the tortoise eats well, can be symptoms of an intestinal parasite infestation and will need to be addressed by a vet. Lets see what other say about this issue.
good luck :)

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
Update:
Tortollini seems much better now. I went home for lunch yesterday and gave her a warm water soak which perked her right up. While she was soaking I removed a large portion of the substrate from her enclosure. I'd removed her mess that morning when I found it but the substrate still smelled like sick. When she was done soaking I gave her a bit of soaked hey cubes and she gobbled them right down. When I got home from work last night I did a complete clean of her enclosure and gave her fresh substrate. This was going to happen soon anyway since I'd recently purchased a new liner to go under the dirt. When I was done Tortollini happily explored everything then burrowed into her hide and put herself to bed.

So I'll continue to keep a close eye on her but all in all she seems to have returned to normal. Shes alert, active, interested in her environment, still happy to gobble up whatever I put in her dish, and has so far kept that food from making a quick exit out of either end.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Nice long soaks would be great. Keep a good eye on him for more vommit and if it continues, take him to a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.