Differences?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
What is the difference between the Pardalis and the Babcocki???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are some who say the differences are purely geographical...similar to the differences that you see in the redfooted tortoises.

Mainly, the tortoises from South Africa have more speckles on their skin, have more than one spot inside the scutes, and grow bigger.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Generally they are 2 subspecies of Geochelone pardalis. They are found in different regions in Africa.
Pardalis pardalis are larger and harder to find. They have 2 dots on their plastron as opposed to Babcocki that are smaller and have 1 dot. Lots of hybrids out there that will kind of give variation on size, that being said, Pardalis pardalis should be bred to pure Pardalis pardalis and not to babcocki.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal did a great detailed thread on this. I can't find it. Can anyone post a link?

Are we ever going to get our "favorite threads" back???

The current scientific way of thinking is that there is only one species, no subspecies, and 11 different clades within the wild range of the leopard.

Yvonne pretty much spelled out the differences in a practical sense for our purposes. I also find the SA type to be much more bold and outgoing.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks guys (and gals)! I couldn't figure it out, so I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! :)