Differences between red-foot and yellow-foots discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
I'm re-posting these pictures so that they can be used as a sticky thread for faster viewing.

Differences between Geochelone Carbonaria (red-foot) and Geochelone Denticula (yellow-foot).

Dorsal view of male red-foot on left and male yellow-foot on right. Notice hourglass shape of red-foot.
100_2401.jpg

Ventral view of male red-foot and male yellow-foot. Note wide anal scutes, concave plastron, and long tail.
100_2402.jpg

Front view of males. Note scale coloration on legs.
100_2403.jpg

Dorsal view of female red-foot on left and female yellow-foot on right. No hourglass shape.
100_2404.jpg

Ventral view of females. No concavity on plastron, semi-circular anal scutes, and short tail.
100_2405.jpg

Dorsal head view of red-foot (left) and yellow-foot (right). Red-foots have a single prefrontal scale at the tip of the nose, while yellows have two large prefrontal scales running parallel to one another.
100_2550.jpg

Please add anymore information for others who want to know more about the differences between the two species.

-Matt

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
RE: Differences between red-foot and yellow-foots

Great Pictures! I always wondered what the major differences were. Thanks for sharing;)

July

5 Year Member

What about husbandry differences and personality differences? Can they coexist?
Mary

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.

I keep mine exactly like I keep my red-foots. They do really prefer a darker, moister, climate, but they do just fine with my red-foots. They are definitely not as outgoing as a red-foot, but if you're lucky you will find one that has been a long term captive and acclimated to people. All of my yellow-foots come out and greet me when I feed them, or if they see me walk by. They coexist very well together if given a good amount of space to get away from each other. Males can be a little pushy sometimes. Overall they do great together. I hope this helps.

-Matt

shane1111

5 Year Member

what about size?

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!

The largest redfoot ever recorded was around 18". Largest yellowfoot was 28". I think redfoots get to around 12-14" and yellowfoots around 14-18" generally.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada

matt41gb said:
I keep mine exactly like I keep my red-foots. They do really prefer a darker, moister, climate, but they do just fine with my red-foots. They are definitely not as outgoing as a red-foot, but if you're lucky you will find one that has been a long term captive and acclimated to people. All of my yellow-foots come out and greet me when I feed them, or if they see me walk by. They coexist very well together if given a good amount of space to get away from each other. Males can be a little pushy sometimes. Overall they do great together. I hope this helps.

-Matt

Right on. Yellowfoots are the true "rainforest" tortoises. I find that yellowfoots are more "shy" and laid back than red foots, but of course personality varies. And unlike other torts, redfoots and yellowfoots are fine tankmates.

keiraliang

5 Year Member
Dallas, TX

They are so cute even when they are huge :D~

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Ok stupid question time, I am allowed one a day. Aren't red foots red on their legs and yellow foots yellow on their legs?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.

dmmj said:
Ok stupid question time, I am allowed one a day. Aren't red foots red on their legs and yellow foots yellow on their legs?

Yellow-foots almost always have a yellow scalation on their legs. Red-foots tend to vary. I have some that are all yellow, some that are yellow and red, and some that are all red.

-Matt

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA

I find some personality differences. With my groups I can not keep two Yellow males together. They fight pretty agressively over the 3 girls. I've witnessed locked on neck biting. I have to keep them separate.

I have several male Redfoots together and aside from a little bumping here and there they do fine with lots of females between them.

Definitley differences in protein preferences too. Still working on what the Yellows like the best.

Reds follow me around like puppy dogs. They make it difficult to do anything in their outside enclosure because they are all over me when I'm in there. The Yellows don't do that. :)

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East

i thought I had seen something before about the one vs two nose scales..... I came home from a local pet shop today and they had a "red-foot" tort with 2 scales side by side on the front/top of the nose.... I thought it seemed wierd and when I looked on TFO for the correct info i see my inclination was right! thank you for this informative note.. I will be going back to that shop just to let them know what they have ha ha!

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois

when keeping red foot and yellow foots together do they cross breed? If so I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a hatchling of a cross between the two.

greta

5 Year Member
Spring, TX

well i guess my red foot is really a yellow foot then. she has two scales on her nose. those pet store people told me wrong i guess.
thanks for sharing

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas

Great thread Matty-my-boy, very good info.

Doc

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.

Thanks sir! It hadn't been done yet, so I thought I'd take the initiative.

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

No, Tanja: Your little RF only has one yellow circle directly over her nose. The two you're looking at are a little further back from the one.

greta

5 Year Member
Spring, TX

emysemys said:
No, Tanja: Your little RF only has one yellow circle directly over her nose. The two you're looking at are a little further back from the one.

lol, thank you.
it wouldnt matter either way.
but its good to know,

Scho9959

5 Year Member
Oklahoma

Yeah I started to rethink it a little, since Calypso has zero red on her, but the scales on her head give it away. She's definitely a red. =]

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

The scalation does tend to differ between the two species (one prefrontal on redfoots, two prefrontals on yellowfoots). My redfoot had only one, true to her type. However, every once in a while you do see a redfoot with two prefrontal scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.