Differences among yellow foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickwack

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, i recently got another tort, its another yellow foot, but this time its a male. His name is Oliver. I am using pictures of my first female yellow foot Olivia. I have some observations and thoughts on my head, since i havent seen much detailed info on yellow foots, i would like to post these pics here to see what we can find out... so here we go...

the first thing i noticed was the color, Oliver is more like real yellow, while Olivia has a slight orange tint. Then the frontal lobes (not sure what the correct term is) over the eyes, they are both definitely yellow foots since they are separtate, but Olivers front lobes are more separate and of a different shape, while Olivias are rounder and closer together and she also has a very small colored area in front of the 2 lobes.

notice also that Oliver has a darker skin color, and his nails are very dark almost black, while olivia has clearer nails and her skin is lighter... Also, Olivers shell has darker tint near the joining of the scutes, while Olivia has a lighter color in this area.

Oliver also seems to be way more resistant to infections, not sure why, his shell also is shinnier and has a glossier look, not sure if this is because of his age or if its a genetic difference.

I think most of the differences i have outlined are independent of their gender... I say this because i was shown two male yellow foots before i bought Oliver, and the other male was identical to Olivia, and also had carapace/infection problems. I chose Oliver because i did not know how common these torts where, so I choose the one that i hadnt seen before, also i didnt want to have to treat another tort wich infections, it would have been too time consuming.

So what do you guys think? any other differences you notice? any thoughts or answers? thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 79

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
He looks awesome. Lots of times the color can vary from yellow/orange to bright orange to dark orange, to light orange or yellow. Different genetics from different adults, even siblings can portray a huge difference in color. They both look awesome. They have that nice round amazon basin shape to them.

wickwack

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
He looks awesome. Lots of times the color can vary from yellow/orange to bright orange to dark orange, to light orange or yellow. Different genetics from different adults, even siblings can portray a huge difference in color. They both look awesome. They have that nice round amazon basin shape to them.

hehe, i surely hope they turn out to be giants!...

I want to add a big difference to the list... Oliver can swim!!!!

I couldnt believe it when i saw it, i had seen Olivia sink to the bottom of the pool before, try to swim up and fail, so i was sure Oliver wouldnt be any different. I put him a very shallow area where he could walk on the water and still breathe, then he made his way towards the next step where i was sure he would sink, however he floted with easy and cotinued to swim around as if looking for some ground...

very pleasant surprise, not sure why Olivia cant swim, maybe she has to learn? or could theyre genetic differences be much more than originally thought?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hmm. Not to sure why she did sink. Yellow-foots are great swimmers, and very typical to be found swimming accross rivers and water in deltas where they are from through out the amazon basins. Maybe she was just tricking you. :D

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow, he is a beauty. I love that dark skin color on the contrast of the yellow. He is going to be a looker. Good luck with him.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Feed these two like crazy. Have them want for nothing with maximum nutritional resources. Unlike most, yours look like they have real potential to get truly big based on shell shape. Your male, especially so. Love that guy.

wickwack

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
Feed these two like crazy. Have them want for nothing with maximum nutritional resources. Unlike most, yours look like they have real potential to get truly big based on shell shape. Your male, especially so. Love that guy.

wow that is great to hear... what exactly about his shape indicates potential for growth?

I will be reading more about feeding soon, i want to make sure i become an expert in greens and fruits so that i can feed them correctly... i will try and find a female like him as well so maybe someday i can breed giant yellow foots hehe...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well based on most Giant yellow foots, the ones that have reached massive sizes have more of a rounded shape to them like your male depicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.