Diet Change Went Better Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

byerssusan

Yesterday I put out a little spring mix along side the repcal torotoise food for Phoenix..... I seen she checked it out first..Kind of nipped it..She actually ate a little of it..This morning I put her repcal tortoise food out... and beside it I put the spring mix..Much to my suprise she went for the springmix first. LOL.. She tore is up! Still ate her repcal ..But was so suprised she chose the spring mix first.

B

byerssusan

Thank you ! Yeah I was so worried..here so many say they can become picky eaters..and I believe it. I tried her on the hay and she refused..so I thought there is no way she is going to go for this. So yeah for Phoenix!! *S* I do have a question though..how much of the spring mix should I feed her daily?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I have a small bowl that I use and I just fill it up and my little ones normally finish it all. It was a little trial and error to figure out how much to give them so they were full but didn't waste a lot of food.

B

byerssusan

Okay great..So I guess the more she is eating the spring mix I should start slowly reducing the repcal food? I shouldn't feed her both right? Maybe just in the beginning?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
byerssusan said:
Okay great..So I guess the more she is eating the spring mix I should start slowly reducing the repcal food? I shouldn't feed her both right? Maybe just in the beginning?

When I used to use the repcal food I fed both, I would give greens and sprinkle the repcal on top until I ran out of the repcal. you should feed her both and slowly reduce the repcal since she likes the spring mix. Then you can eventually just use the repcal like calcium powder and put a little on her food every once in a while...

B

byerssusan

Something wrong with the posting..a nitch..LOl.. I just posted and nothing showed..anyway I thank you so so much. Phoenix thanks you too! I feel so relieved to know with the help of you and others here that I am doing what I need to do to make Phoenix as healthy as possible. I am so excited she is eating more naturally!! Yeah for her/him! *S*

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I feel you big time on that, my box turtles and now the Hermanns are still a mystery to me, I have gotten a lot of help from everyone and I have been doing so much reading. Vegas was my first tortoise and I have learned from all the mistakes and bad advice I was given. Always learning something new on this forum and thats what makes it so great...

B

byerssusan

Thank you Utah Lynn..But could not have done it without you and everyone else who has helped me while I have been here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now you need to start looking up weeds and growing some cactus and clover. Grocery store stuff is fine, but "natural" stuff is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.