Diet cause of death?

Dantheman364

Location (City and/or State)
McAllen
Unfortunately a while back my 5 month old tortoise sulcata died. I was guessing it was because of Respitory infection after doing more research. Before the enclosures of the tortoise was big but the fundamentals were not right my fault for not doing proper research. I would use soil but would never spray it down with water which could be a reason why it died it was too dry and not really humid another reason could be it was too cold. Not too sure on specific lighting temp but I was just told to get a 25 watt light for it at the pet store so I follow. But after doing research a 25 watt is just too weak almost no heat. I’ve read u need like 100 -160 watt light to have high temp. That could be another reason and lastly I would feed the tortoise almost daily spinach. I heard that’s is not best for the tortoise. My tortoise would always squeak very very loud and would be an indication of a RI. But I fortunately on the last 2 weeks after reader has I did all my adjustments. I started spraying water and I got a 160 watt light. But I would put a good amount of water and all of a sunden it went from dry to too humid soon after it died. What did I do wrong. Did diet play a role or was it just my set up. I don’t want to fail again in the future. Thanks family.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The spinach would have presented with a soft shell. It sounds to me like it was the temperature and a R.I.