Did someone say REGULAR Redfoot from Brazil?....

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
.... these are ( regular ) from Brazil - with all different colors too!

[ unless otherwise stated.. these were captive hatched - some by us here ]

She was my breeder female that created the "Black-Cherry" hatchlings -

And her mate when he was quite young -

... luv his plastron...

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
What gorgeous torts! I particularly like the second one with the cool marbling on the plastron.

If only I could have a herd! For now, one is all I can manage since the climate here is less than ideal.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Wow, they're all lovely! Is marbling more common in cherries than redfoots from other locals? Mine shows zero signs of it, but he's not a Cherryhead. I couldn't even begin to guess at his origin... Or sex, at this point.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Jeff!... what are you doing 'hijacking' this thread with all of your pics?!?

When I said Regular I meant... what most call redfoot tortoises North of the "Amazon" river! And they make those South [ from Brazil ] something special or more unique or valuable. Brazilian redfoot tortoises are the same 'Regular' tortoises only from different parts of South America!

Regular had nothing to do with their different colors and/or marbling.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Wow, they're all lovely! Is marbling more common in cherries than redfoots from other locals? Mine shows zero signs of it, but he's not a Cherryhead. I couldn't even begin to guess at his origin... Or sex, at this point.

Rutibegga you are invited to show us yours.. be sure and show plastron shots as well as face if possible... with straight carapace length please?

From what I've seen over the past several years.. ( unless there has been intentional "gene-mixing" ) only the Brazilian show the carapace/plastron marbling.

AND with all the 'mixing' of locales going on since they have been imported since the '60's (?) all kinds of colors and patterns exist these days.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jeff!... what are you doing 'hijacking' this thread with all of your pics?!?

When I said Regular I meant... what most call redfoot tortoises North of the "Amazon" river! And they make those South [ from Brazil ] something special or more unique or valuable. Brazilian redfoot tortoises are the same 'Regular' tortoises only from different parts of South America!

Regular had nothing to do with their different colors and/or marbling.
Oops sorry Terry ....I was teasing ya ( I think you took it wrong). Nice to see you back in action.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Jeff you and others have convinced me to never come back here again!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Rutibegga you are invited to show us yours.. be sure and show plastron shots as well as face if possible... with straight carapace length please?

From what I've seen over the past several years.. ( unless there has been intentional "gene-mixing" ) only the Brazilian show the carapace/plastron marbling.

AND with all the 'mixing' of locales going on since they have been imported since the '60's (?) all kinds of colors and patterns exist these days.

There he is, in all his grumpy glory. DOB 4/2015, 327g and growing like it's his job.

He's an outgoing little thing (or at least knows that I always have food for him).

Attachments

• 1453497889414.jpg
    1453497889414.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 1453497901823.jpg
    1453497901823.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1453497916661.jpg
    1453497916661.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1453497929710.jpg
    1453497929710.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1453497943480.jpg
    1453497943480.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 28

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Oh, I forgot, SCL was 12cm 2 weeks ago. I didn't want to add to the indignities tonight.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I did ask for your pics Rutibegga.. so will reply. If I had to guess it would be Venezuela??? .. from the 'single' diamond on plastron. The head colors are more orange which says Guyana??? Since he is captive hatched could most likely be different locales. Much too small to sex.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I did ask for your pics Rutibegga.. so will reply. If I had to guess it would be Venezuela??? .. from the 'single' diamond on plastron. The head colors are more orange which says Guyana??? Since he is captive hatched could most likely be different locales. Much too small to sex.

Thanks for the response! I'd guessed Venezuela as a possibility from an old post about types, but the Guyana possibility is new to me. Cue endless image searching for redfoot + Guyana. His head colors are sort of a dark orange/salmon in natural light. He's a pretty nice looking tort (IMO).

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
He is a nice looking redfoot.. I really like that color too!

OFF TOPIC...

One of my favorite "Northern" hatchlings -

- note 'solid-bars' over eyes.. quite rare -

Last edited:

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
He is a nice looking redfoot.. I really like that color too!

OFF TOPIC...

One of my favorite "Northern" hatchlings -

- note 'solid-bars' over eyes.. quite rare -

Cute little bugger--he looks like he's a bit heavy-handed with the eye makeup!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463771777.867307.jpg this is Tucker, approx 10 months oldImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463771836.215749.jpg. APPROX 4.5 in, 10 oz. came from breeder (or maybe broker?) in Florida on June, 19 of last year with egg tooth that had stayed in him another 4-5 wks and very raw looking yolk sac scar on his belly. Anyway, just curious what you guys think about his heritage.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463772070.530695.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463772084.806202.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463772114.335385.jpg that's him and his "sister" Shellie.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
.... these are ( regular ) from Brazil - with all different colors too!

[ unless otherwise stated.. these were captive hatched - some by us here ]

She was my breeder female that created the "Black-Cherry" hatchlings -

And her mate when he was quite young -

... luv his plastron...

Omg! Gorgeous animals! Beautiful colors.