Diatomaceous earth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I have cleaned out there inside pens a few times already... Both times I have fumed the pens... After airing out for a few hrs.. I have scrubbed everything down to remove trace... All has been good for a week then the flies come back... I have come to the conclusion they are coming in with the hay... Nothing seems to work keeping them in check.. I have electronic zappers, fly tape, fly traps and now trying fly bait(poison ) on shelves thru out the pens... Which isn't helping since the flies seem to stay in the hay until they are disturbed.....and I'm not talking a few.. I'm talking a few hundred flies... They are driving me and the torts crazy...

So here is my thought.. Buy some food quality Diatomaceous earth and sprinkle all over the hay...in hopes that the flies hiding within the hay will be exposed and die...

I see no side effects to the torts...and might actually be beneficial if they have and parasitic load... But would like thoughts and opinions before I order it..

Thanks in advance ...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no help for you, sorry:(. Sorry for your terrible fly problem too:( I just wanted to say, what ever it is you do, make sure you let us know if it works or not.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It's my understanding that it is common practice in grain storage to use DE to protect the grain from bug infestation before processing for human consumption, So I don't think there would be any problems using it on your hay,I use it for different things and never worried about dangerous side effects and never had any that I know of.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
where does one find DE? l also have a bad "Ground Fly" issue! they are not bothering WAlkingRock much, but they are eating up my poor little dog!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DE can be found at a lot of places...gardening centers, feedstores, even Walmart.

DMarcus, try regular Quaker Oats grits (not the instant kind)...the only thing I've ever found for controlling fire-ants that didn't involve putting poison in the ground.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Terry Allan Hall said:
DE can be found at a lot of places...gardening centers, feedstores, even Walmart.

DMarcus, try regular Quaker Oats grits (not the instant kind)...the only thing I've ever found for controlling fire-ants that didn't involve putting poison in the ground.

Okay thanks Terry..

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Be careful that you torts don't injest it. It is like tiny pieces of glass... It is use here in the NE to kill slugs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of flies are you getting?

Either way, they come from the surrounding environment, not your hay. I would not put DE somewhere my torts were going to be scratching around and breathing. You are supposed to wear a dust mask when using that stuff. I use it in my pool filter and I'm pretty careful not to breathe it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Tom said:
What type of flies are you getting?

Either way, they come from the surrounding environment, not your hay. I would not put DE somewhere my torts were going to be scratching around and breathing. You are supposed to wear a dust mask when using that stuff. I use it in my pool filter and I'm pretty careful not to breathe it.

What you use in your pool filter is not the same as food grade DE, It has the same constancy as flour and can be used safely with food stuff.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I'm at my wits end... They are not getting in anywhere... What I was told at the feed store is that the flies become dormant in the hay and upon warming it up they start to hatch... I have no standing water.. And all the poop is removed ASAP... I have a rather lg fly zapper in each enclosure and they do not seem interested... They seem to stay hidden in the hay and all over the torts....I have been told that food grade Diatomaceous earth is non toxic...(unlike the pool stuff).. And the farmers at the feed store tell me they even feed it to there animals to help with intestinal parasites...

Don't know what else to try.. The doors in there enclosure are kept closed... When I air it out I have a tight fitting screen door... They have to be coming in with the hay... I'm thinking of using orchard bark but am afraid they will get impacted since they tend to eat the hay when they eat there food..

Any ideas?? Or opinions would be appreciated.. Thank you

Orillion

5 Year Member
Food grade DE is amazing. Pool grade DE is frightening. Your fly problem should disappear if you do dust. DE needs to be handled carefully. Other than that, folk dust for all sorts of insects on their hen farm, their goats, their horses, etc. with the stuff with satisfying effects. DE is used for fleas and bed bugs too, as well as ants. Gets rubbing on the shell of the insect, leaving scratches on them, and dries the suckers out.

Best mechanical (not poisonous) insect killer out there, in my humble opinion. The animals and humans can ingest the stuff for worming, the flies or other baddies get scratched. Besides cautioning with the application: may take a few days to kill them all. It's a mechanical means to their end, not a poison. Takes a while for them to bleed out. Don't re-apply for a few days, let it do it's work. Good luck!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yes and you can get Food Grade in the gardening section of any feed store... That is where I get mine. Works well in the outdoor enclosures...

ErikaO

5 Year Member
I just recently bought some DE to help with our huge ant problem. We were able to purchase it at our local feed store. We were informed that it would have no ill side effects on our torts. We were also told that it will only kill off insects that have exoskeletal bodies such as ants, fleas, and roaches. It has only been around three days since we've applied the DE through out our yard and so far, we haven't seen any noticeable difference. But the DE is not a poison; it cuts up the insects bodies, so we are hopeful that it is doing its job. We sure heard good things about DE. Good luck with your fly problem.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Food grade is completely safe for ingestion (tastes like dirt) but prolonged/repeated inhalation could possibly be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.