Diarrhea ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Nigel has had diarrhea consistently since Wednesday or Thursday, and I have NO IDEA what is causing it....

It looks like normal poo, as far as color, but not consistency.

His diet hasn't changed. I am still feeding the same brand of Spring Mix, and he hasn't had any extra veggies in a week or two. I really have changed nothing....

His appetite is still good. For the last few days he was leaving all the chard on his plate, and it looked like quite a bit, so this morning I spent alittle extra time and picked it all out for him and his plate was clean this afternoon.

He still comes out in the mornings and basks, and walks around and everything...He kinda beds down a little earlier than usual, but we've been having really cloudy days here, so I attributed it to the weather.

He is breathing fine, no bubbles, no discharge.

And I soaked him on Friday (as has become the norm) is warm treated water and organic carrot baby food (half a normal size jar)

What could be causing this?

M

Maggie Cummings

Sometimes it's something so simple as too much grocery store greens. When that has happened to Bob I have fed him Mazuri for a few days and not the greens, and it firms up his stool really well. IMHO Mazuri is really good for that.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Meg, I agree with Maggie, Mazuri is really good for firming up poo. However my Greeks just don't seem to like it much. I have to almost powder it but it does help. Have you gotten new greens (same kind, just freshly bought?) Are you washing them well? then drying them well? Sometimes for no apparent reason my Greeks will have loose stools. It usually passes in a few days to a week.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Have you been soaking him a lot more? I know you used to not do this as he self-soaks, so if you are increasing the soaks I have heard of it softening their poos.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No, he wasn't. And I don't have any other pets that he would have come in contact with, so I don't know how he would have obtained them....

He seems to be getting better though...appetite is still good.

M

Maggie Cummings

He can pick up parasites if he is outside on the ground...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would get him tested for parasites if you have not in the past 6 months. Because of how the eggs are, a tort can test clean, but they multiply months later and can then cause a problem. My vet recommends a test at least once when you get a tort, and then 6 months later. It's a cheap test if you already have a vet--they will likely just let you drop off the poop and pay $20 or whatever without an office visit. It would be peace of mind at least.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
He has never been outside since I have owned him...we still have like 10 inches of snow here (WI)....

If it continues (I am pretty sure he is back to normal) I will take him in for an overall checkup...But I think it was just a passing thing from increasing his soaks.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I hope Nigel is feeling better. I noticed the kids have had the same type of loose but not runny poop. I blamed the different brand of spring mix I bought. It has more romaine than the other brand and has more spinach. I won't buy it again. And I am encouraging the human kids to eat it up.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.