Diapers for tortoises?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I believe that when we put tortoises in situations where we believe a diaper is necessary, then we have put our needs first. If our tortoises are out “roaming,” it is natural for them to poop—and leave it behind. If we take them in a carrier to a vet or for transportation, then it is our responsibility to clean the towels afterwards. It should always be on us to make their experience as “natural” as possible. Trapping their waste against their body for our convenience does not seem ethical/necessary to me. They should not be compared to a dog in heat. Just my humble opinion…
mine as well!!! Only you said it better...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If there is ever a situation where you need to protect the surroundings from tortoise waste, you can use human preemie disposable diapers, however, having the tortoise inside a carrier or small tub works just as well.
And they make a great poo catching place when your vet scares the poo out of them. Instant poo sample.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The truth is there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I just looked. But when I look around and see what mankind has done to our planet I know the truth. There's too much cement and not enough trees. Probably all wild animals are at least near threatened but not enough people counted them yet to make an informed decision to put them on the list. So maybe they aren't classified as such legally yet but the government is very slow ???

Grace-Sophia

Texas
The truth is there is a lot of conflicting information out there. I just looked. But when I look around and see what mankind has done to our planet I know the truth. There's too much cement and not enough trees. Probably all wild animals are at least near threatened but not enough people counted them yet to make an informed decision to put them on the list. So maybe they aren't classified as such legally yet but the government is very slow ???
Thank you so much, for taking time out of your evening to research this, it might be the truth, but it’s a very, very sad one.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you so much, for taking time out of your evening to research this, it might be the truth, but it’s a very, very sad one.
Yes it is sad but we can do things to help even in our own yard. I see more and more wild animals each year in my yard just by doing certain things that are easy. I don't pollute it or mow too low. I don't get rid of every single weed because certain ones are really good for my tortoise and so other critters too. I should have trimmed my Crab apple tree back because it's hanging to the ground with apples ? but I want to try making some Crab apple jelly and the butterflies love the fallen fruit. So do woodpeckers. I can only do what I can do and hope it rubs off on the people around me.?

Lulabee247

Durham
OMG, no! Do not use them. This is a tortoise that should be roaming the yard during good weather and its enclosure inside when too cold for those that live in the cold.
Give a warm long soak before you take him some place and transport him in a proper tote box.
These are not dogs, do not treat them as one.
As if dogs should wear diapers ? what will they come up with next ? I think it’s it’s cruel. ?

Lulabee247

Durham
Yes it is sad but we can do things to help even in our own yard. I see more and more wild animals each year in my yard just by doing certain things that are easy. I don't pollute it or mow too low. I don't get rid of every single weed because certain ones are really good for my tortoise and so other critters too. I should have trimmed my Crab apple tree back because it's hanging to the ground with apples ? but I want to try making some Crab apple jelly and the butterflies love the fallen fruit. So do woodpeckers. I can only do what I can do and hope it rubs off on the people around me.?
Funny but sad as I done rather well in the garden killing all the weeds off and having a nice clean lush garden, then I got a tortoise, now I’m trying to grow weeds ? As if ? ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Funny but sad as I done rather well in the garden killing all the weeds off and having a nice clean lush garden, then I got a tortoise, now I’m trying to grow weeds ? As if ? ?
What's even funnier is they now sell organic dandelion in my favorite grocery store. I could make a million dollars.?