Designing for Male-Female Enclosure (outdoor)

GS_tortugas

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello! We are redesigning our outdoor enclosure for our 20-30 year old CA desert tortoises. We are making two enclosures, one for the female, one for the male.

ideally we would divide the existing long and narrow enclosure into two side by side runs, with one shared solid wall Down the middle. Our question is, would this still drive him crazy having her on the other side of the shared wall, or would the division be sufficient separation?

if anyone has any experience with scenario, we would appreciate any feedback on what worked and what didn’t...
Thank you,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It should work ok. I have a male sulcata (not the same as a desert tortoise, I know) and he could smell a new tortoise no matter how far away on the property the new one was, male or female (I used to operate a tortoise rescue). It drove him crazy smelling but not being able to get to that new tortoise. All I can say is to try it and see if it bothers him. Give it a couple weeks. He may settle down once he totally realizes he can't get past the fence. If possible, put the female on the side away from the wind.

GS_tortugas

Southern California
It should work ok. I have a male sulcata (not the same as a desert tortoise, I know) and he could smell a new tortoise no matter how far away on the property the new one was, male or female (I used to operate a tortoise rescue). It drove him crazy smelling but not being able to get to that new tortoise. All I can say is to try it and see if it bothers him. Give it a couple weeks. He may settle down once he totally realizes he can't get past the fence. If possible, put the female on the side away from the wind.
Thank you so much for the advice! We will give it a try.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It seems to be on a tort to tort basis.
I also don't keep RT.
But I've had a few male RF that NEVER stopped trying to get at my females and required new keepers right away. And some that only tried a little bit and lived here for years.
If yours is overly amorous, make especially sure that he can't see her at all.
It'll help.
But it still might not work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Check this out: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/#lg=attachment150106&slide=0

And this one too. There is a box in there with an explanation of how to set it up for DTs and all other temperate species.