Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
One of the many things I love about the great state of Arizona- the desert parts in particular- is the native wildlife. We've got everything from javelina to cougars to gila monsters. Of course my favorites are the illusive desert tortoises. Now, I am no expert and I do not know the offical names of this species because around here we just call them desert tortoises but nevertheless they are a well respected creature out here in the boonies. It's not too often that you see these guys hanging around but when you do it is absolutely amazing. I have the luck of living smack dab in the middle of the Sonoran desert in an undeveloped area with really nothing for miles and I have only encountered this species twice. My first encounter was about 2 years ago when I took the picture posted below. I was out by myself four wheeling about 5-10 miles away from my house. I found an old trail that looked a little rough but I went for it. And boy I am glad I did. That's when I saw this beautiful animal right off the side of the trail. Words cannot express how amazing it was to see my favorite animal, something I am so utterly obsessed with that I had the nerve to tattoo it onto my body, in it's natural environment. I quickly snapped this picture and went on my merry way only because I did not want to disturb this beautiful animal. My second encounter was with a much smaller tortoise who was in the middle of an often very busy road. I managed to get to the little one and move him off the road and into safety.
Anyways, I got excited when I found this old picture on my computer that I had almost completely forgotten about and I just thought I'd share with you fellow tortie lovers! :p

1028101504.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never seen a tortoise in his natural environment. You are so lucky.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
emysemys said:
I've never seen a tortoise in his natural environment. You are so lucky.

Wow Yvonne,
That is such a shame. 35yrs ago, when I ran in those parts of California that they were native,(Joshua Tree national forest) we would find not only tortoises but also chukawallas, and desert iguanas. Those were good times in my like.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Kylie, that is great that you got to see one in the wild. I got to see one in the wild and have also seen rattlesnakes, a gila monster, lots of horny toads, javalinas, roadrunners, bobcats etc. etc. I guess you already know, but four wheeling is one of the leading destroyers of native habitat for the desert tortoise. So, be sure you try to stay on trails as much as possible when out there in the desert. Lucky you that you can live out there.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
I would have to say that suburban development is a bigger threat than off roading/ 4 wheeling where I am at. The city is creeping closer every day unfortunately. I always stick to the trails not only because is it safer for me an my tires but because you can't see what's lying in the bushes and near or under rocks!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
SmileyKylie623 said:
I would have to say that suburban development is a bigger threat than off roading/ 4 wheeling where I am at. The city is creeping closer every day unfortunately. I always stick to the trails not only because is it safer for me an my tires but because you can't see what's lying in the bushes and near or under rocks!

You got that right. Same here.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I've never seen a tortoise in his natural environment.

Yvonne, if you are ever this way during tortoise season---please let me know ahead of time and perhaps I can get you into the areas where you will have a better than average chance to do just this :D

You can still see the chuckwalla, desert iguana, desert tarantula, rattle snake, horny toad (yes, not a toad but a nick name) here in the mojave and near joshua tree area....you may need to hike a bit--but not too far....

Status
Not open for further replies.