Desert tortoise

Ellsworth

Location (City and/or State)
Green Valley,Arizona
I'm new to site ,I have 2 desert tortoise, both male. One is about 1 yr old. , the other is about 4 or 5. I received the younger boy from my mailperson, she had raised him from birth. The other was from a woman who posted on line that she needed to rehome 3 tortoises , we took 1. She said she had raised them from birth.
I read the article about keeping them separated, now they're in a large enclosure outside. So far they seem to be ok , but I will watch them even more closely now.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

How long have you had the tortoises? Did you get them this summer?

In case you haven't read it, this is the care sheet for DT's. If you would like to post some pictures of your setup, we could help you with any concerns you have.

And your tortoises are still too young to be certain of their genders. You won't be positive for a few more years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm new to site ,I have 2 desert tortoise, both male. One is about 1 yr old. , the other is about 4 or 5. I received the younger boy from my mailperson, she had raised him from birth. The other was from a woman who posted on line that she needed to rehome 3 tortoises , we took 1. She said she had raised them from birth.
I read the article about keeping them separated, now they're in a large enclosure outside. So far they seem to be ok , but I will watch them even more closely now.
Hello and welcome. They are not okay, especially at that size difference. They should really be in separate enclosures, and that little one should probably be mostly inside for another year or two. Outside all day isn't good for babies.