1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Desert Tortoise prefers to be under the patio

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by bkn70, Jun 24, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. bkn70

bkn70 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Tucson
    We recently adopted a 20-year old desert tortoise, we were told he was rescued as a hatchling.

I dug him a deep burrow, reinforced roof with a metal trash barrel cut in half +20 inches of soil on top, north-northwest facing.

However he keeps coming under our patio and nestling at the back corner under the couch. It's concrete lined and fully shaded shaded, so I'm not exactly surprised. If I take him out and put him in the yard he will wander back to the patio; if I put him close to the burrow in the evening he will go in and spend the night there.

I don't really have a problem with him being under the patio, it just doesn't seem very natural. Should I continue to encourage him back to the burrow every evening, and how can I make it more appealing for him? He spends 95% of his time not moving, which I'm not too worried about as it's been 100+ since we adopted him.
  2. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    When it is hot they seek out cool spots. A concrete patio sounds very cool (temp not attitude) indeed. Leave him be he knows what is best for him.
  3. bkn70

bkn70 New Member

Tucson
    Yes, it's definitely the coolest spot in the yard, no surprise he sought it out! Thanks for your insight.