Desert tortoise pictures needed for Sulcata care guide!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Im currently putting together a Sulcata care guide for the reptile site I moderate (which I may be posting here), and I need pictures of desert tortoise nuchal scutes and legs. I’m doing a section of differentiating Sulcatas from other tortoises, and I figured I could get some pictures from people here instead of messing with the legality of using google ones ;)

Obviously any pictures I use will have the owners credited directly under the picture, and no pictures will be claimed as my own.

Pictures from the direct front and top of the tortoise would be best, similar to this
IMG_3900.jpg

Thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know these are not the type of pics you ask for but desert tortoises and sulcatas eyes are very different.View attachment 280964 View attachment 280965 The first pic is a male and the second is female, Just another way to distinguish them from sulcatas.

Super different...every time I see those those eyes I fall in love with this species all over again....mmm, gorgeous.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Im currently putting together a Sulcata care guide for the reptile site I moderate (which I may be posting here), and I need pictures of desert tortoise nuchal scutes and legs. I’m doing a section of differentiating Sulcatas from other tortoises, and I figured I could get some pictures from people here instead of messing with the legality of using google ones ;)

Obviously any pictures I use will have the owners credited directly under the picture, and no pictures will be claimed as my own.

Pictures from the direct front and top of the tortoise would be best, similar to this
View attachment 280902

Thank you!

image.jpg

Barb madera

Phoenix, AZ

View attachment 280902

Thank you!
Here are 3 pictures of my tortoise, named Monkee. About 2 yrs old
Barb madera
Thank you

5D8A0930-E372-4108-8C22-1120715502E0.jpeg 773B54F5-FF93-49FD-91A5-EDD996D69173.jpeg 186732EB-FA8E-4A8D-B112-5CBFBFA8FA77.jpeg

Dovey

New River, AZ

View attachment 280902

Thank you!

20191019_175713.jpg Screenshot_20191018-234139_Nextdoor.jpg

Barb madera

Phoenix, AZ
You know this is not a desert tortoise, right?
Oh!!!! from barb Madera. My pic is not a desert tortoise??? Is he a sulcata then? I live in AZ just thought he was a desert tortoise. Received hatchling about 1-1/2 yrs ago from someone I know that had so many babies and already had 2-3 liters in those 1-1/2 years. Please confirm. In any case I love him and he has the life, for sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh!!!! from barb Madera. My pic is not a desert tortoise??? Is he a sulcata then? I live in AZ just thought he was a desert tortoise. Received hatchling about 1-1/2 yrs ago from someone I know that had so many babies and already had 2-3 liters in those 1-1/2 years. Please confirm. In any case I love him and he has the life, for sure.
You have a sulcata. Care for them is very different than care for a desert tortoise. Here is the sulcata care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/