1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Desert Tortoise Newbie.

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by AZGirl, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. AZGirl

AZGirl New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Arizona
    That’s what I thought about his skutes, that they’d like look better as he grows. Those are about our temps now although this week nights will drop below 60. But I bring him in at night. I’m thinking to stop offering food to let dig track clear but concerned about his weight. Vet check detailed below in other post. He has not gained weight since last year. Thanks for all the info.

Am soaking him daily, also see below.

Thanks, Dee
  2. Blackdog1714

Blackdog1714 Well-Known Member

Richmond, VA
    I would take a pencil and paper and weekly trace his shape. Compare them to see size/shape growth differences
    AZGirl likes this.
  3. AZGirl

AZGirl New Member

Arizona
    Actually see above.
  4. AZGirl

AZGirl New Member

Arizona

Wonder if @Tom, if you think I should hibernate him since he has not gained weight and I’ve been feeding him WAY too much lettuce. I think it’s too late to fatten him up. Now I’m stressed about it. Hi is well hydrated though. Won’t eat the other things I offer. What is the dry hay I can get and soak? Should I try that at this point? Thanks for your input.
  5. AZGirl

AZGirl New Member

Arizona

Thank you @Yvonne!
  6. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    I wouldn't until you get things sorted.

I'd make a large indoor enclosure with good lighting and keep him up. He can still go outside all winter on warm sunny days. Just leave him in on cold nights and overcast or rainy days.
  7. AZGirl

AZGirl New Member

Arizona
    Average temp where I live is 54 in winter @Tom although we occasional 60 65 day. It would be much too cold to let him out I think. I think they did not use a gram scale last year and this year new vet did. How many grams should DT gain in year at 5 yo? Do you know? Thank you very much for your input