Desert tortoise Hatchlings

Chubbz

Location (City and/or State)
California
hi I’m new to forum, i found desert tortoise about 5 months ago and she ended up laying 5 eggs. 3 in ground and 2 on the grass. I’ve read it takes 3-4 months to hatch. She’s laid them on June 22 and they’re still not hatched. One of the eggs was poked by birds and one of the eggs in the hole was broken. Two that were in the hole feel solid like there babies in them. The last one on top of grass doesn’t. How long does it usually take for eggs to hatch? Or is there anything i should know to do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It takes a solid 3-4 months of warm weather for them to hatch. If this is a first time mom, there is a good chance they won't hatch. You just never know.

Chubbz

California
I’m not sure. From what I’ve read online and what the size she is i think she might be 10-20 years old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m not sure. From what I’ve read online and what the size she is i think she might be 10-20 years old.
Her age doesn't matter as far as this is concerned. Its whether or not she's been bred and laid eggs before.

Chubbz

California
So how can i tell if they will hatch? I’m in central California and usually warm here and not much rain? I didn’t touch or move the eggs till about a couple weeks ago and two seem heavy and far and one looked like just yolk in there! It seems like the 120 mark is coming fast maybe I’m not sure if they will hatch

Melis

Maryland
So how can i tell if they will hatch? I’m in central California and usually warm here and not much rain? I didn’t touch or move the eggs till about a couple weeks ago and two seem heavy and far and one looked like just yolk in there! It seems like the 120 mark is coming fast maybe I’m not sure if they will hatch
Did you take them out of the ground?

Chubbz

California
I did to make sure they weren’t cracked or anything but i put them back in the hole

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So how can i tell if they will hatch?

If you see a baby, it hatched. If you don't, then it didn't... Just kidding. :)

You can always candle the egg to try and see what is inside, but that isn't always easy or reliable. Just be sure you don't rotate or change the orientation of the egg in any way while moving it. At this stage of development, the egg should appear dark inside if it is fertile. If the egg looks clear or yellowish, then it is probably not fertile, or is not going to develop.

Chubbz

California
If you see a baby, it hatched. If you don't, then it didn't... Just kidding. :)

You can always candle the egg to try and see what is inside, but that isn't always easy or reliable. Just be sure you don't rotate or change the orientation of the egg in any way while moving it. At this stage of development, the egg should appear dark inside if it is fertile. If the egg looks clear or yellowish, then it is probably not fertile, or is not going to develop.
Lol i thought that too! But two are dark one isn’t. I’m guessing her leaving it on top of the grass instead of a hole was probably not good idea