Desert Tortoise has a soft shell- help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

wundawhoim

5 Year Member
Hi
my desert tortoise hibernated too long, and now has a soft shell. i had been keeping him under his vitalite for most of the afternoon/evening (in his inside terrarium), but my limited tortoise knowledge tells me to put him outside in his "dog house" with a shoe box opened up with a "door" and shredded paper for its floor. he can be in the sun (dog house shaded) or go into his box to stay out of any direct sunlight. maybe he need to see the herp vet. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Uno is 5 years old, approx.
wundawhoim

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There is more going on that just a long hibernation. You are correct to assume that you need to see the tortoise vet. And the sooner the better. Once the shell starts to get soft, it requires immediate treatment, and liquid calcium works the best for this. The vet would be able to help you with that.

Yvonne

wundawhoim

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
There is more going on that just a long hibernation. You are correct to assume that you need to see the tortoise vet. And the sooner the better. Once the shell starts to get soft, it requires immediate treatment, and liquid calcium works the best for this. The vet would be able to help you with that.

Yvonne
thank you! will do tomorrow.
Kimberly.

wundawhoim

5 Year Member
took her to vet (she's a girl!). calcium shot and liquid food w/syringe. they "guazed " her up because she oozed the liquid from the soft shell. how do i feed a tortoise liquid calcium w/syringe and also food that i am to mix and feed w/syringe? how do you open a DT's mouth? i need some more help here. back to vet in 2 wks; 50-50 chance she will make it, but she's a strong one. thx.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
You gotta hold her head tightly and simply pry the jaws apart. Put the tube down her throat, careful to avoid the windpipe, and pump it in.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can use something clean and flat to help assist pry/hold the beak open, like maybe the end of a small spoon or something you may have, depending on the tort size. It will help to have a second person too. Glad to here she went to the vet, and I hope she can make a recovery. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.