Desert tortoise for sale on craigslist

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
This person is trying to sell a desert tortoise. I politely told him/her about the laws and suggested he/she contact the CTTC to rehome him, but this person doesn't believe me that it's illegal. Would anyone who cares to politely inform this person that it is illegal to buy or sell desert tortoises?
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/pet/4649487349.html

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
California Fish and Game Code Section 5000.

It is unlawful to sell, purchase, harm, take, possess, or
transport any tortoise (Gopherus) or parts thereof, or to shoot any
projectile at a tortoise (Gopherus). This section does not apply to
the taking of any tortoise when authorized by the department.

Kimber, I tried to access the links and reach the email option, but not able to...here is the actual Code if you want to share it with this person...good luck, you can also let the person know I would be happy to notify Fish and Game Warden here in the High Desert that this person needs further convincing....

Grady27

What I'm just a kid don't know I'm 11 years old dont know the rules I was going to ask my dad

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What I'm just a kid don't know I'm 11 years old dont know the rules I was going to ask my dad
Grady, are you the person selling the tortoise in the ad?

Please do ask your Dad, and invite him here to talk to us about it too. We are glad you are here to learn and we would love to help keep you out of trouble with the law, and maybe learn a little bit about tortoises too. We have lots of other kid members and this is a family friendly forum.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No I'm not selling them

Well, no I see you live in South Carolina... I'm hideous at state abbreviation, so am I right? Also, you are allowed to own a desert tort if you have PERMISSION from the state (not sure where you can get that from?!) But if you bought a desert tort from someone, they were selling illegally. As far as I know, the sate (or other place) only gives permission to people who live in 'sutible' weather conditions for year-long outdoors living.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, folks...Grady read this thread just like the rest of us did and was curious if it is an Arizona desert tortoise. Grady is NOT the OP. That's all. I told him it is in California, then I mentioned about buying and selling - strictly for the thread, not directed at Grady.

Grady: We're glad to have you here on the Forum. Do you have any tortoises? Please feel free to participate. I promise we won't jump on you!! LOL!

Grady27

Yes I have a baby African what ever name sculachan or something and a bigger desert tortise about the size of e bigger dinner plate

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Grady: Your African tortoise is called a 'sulcata.' Be sure to read the threads about caring for baby sulcatas at the top of our sulcata section.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes I have a baby African what ever name sculachan or something and a bigger desert tortise about the size of e bigger dinner plate

Welcome....so you have a sulcata and a desert tortoise? We absolutely love pics of torts---so if you want to share we would love it....and it is a good idea to have your Pops in on your Forum life here, good job.