Desert tortoise died. Need insights & closure

mimsy

That's a pretty sad story, and I really feel for you.

Here are the "coulda, woulda, shoulda", but I'm not being mean. This is meant to help you in case you ever get another tortoise.

The burrow should have been on high ground, but better still would have been to box him up and hibernate (brumate) him in a cool, dry place indoors.

When you first found out he was under water, you should have immediately dug him out.

You could either hold him with his head down towards the ground, or, supporting his neck and head, swing him quickly down to help force the water out of his body.

Setting him up indoors with heat and lights would have been a good idea, until the weather warmed up and he could go back outside.

At the first sign of gasping (pneumonia) he should have gone to the vet for antibiotics.

Yes, he had pneumonia from the water in his lungs.

We did get his burrow drained immediately but didn't pull him out. The days were sunny so we let him stay out. I didn't notice any gasping till that day he wouldn't go to his burrow to sleep (two weeks later). Not sure if that's common.

Obbie

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Thank you all for your good advice. Also my condolences to all that have lost a loved one. I live in Minnesota and after losing Emi (a 13 month Sulcatta.). I was called by a neighbors daughter, she had a 5-6 year old Sulcatta in North Dakota. She’s my little love bug. I’m leaving for AZ after Christmas, there are too many flood warnings. I’m not leaving her outside, my yard has a block fence. I’m just overprotective, but I want her happy and safe.