Desert Tortoise 4 years old

cbs

Location (City and/or State)
Malibu, CA
Hello everyone
This is our second year with our adopted Desert Tortoise. She is 4 years old. Last year we evacuated from the Woolsey Fire with her, she went into hibernation (or brumation?) November 9th and didn't wake up until early May. This year she went into hibernation/brumation on November 21st.
The question I'm getting to, is do we supply water in her tub while she is brumating? Last year was a fog, we lost our house and rentals with the fire, and I was in a fogbank, and I can't remember exactly what we did!
We have her in a cold part of the house, dark closet and in a 24" circular towel-covered plastic tub, she is buried under a Habba Hut with critter crumble coconut husk fiber substrate below her...
Thank you in advance for all your help with this.
It is amazing how this little grumpy tortoise, has captured our hearts. We adore her!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, don't worry about water. Just leave the tortoise alone until you hear him moving around and digging to get out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow! You have sure been through a lot and still carrying on...good for you. Someone here will help you with comments, I know nothing of hibernation.