Dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
What are some symptoms of dehydration? He is urinating and his urates are phlegmy like, sometimes a little chalky. Was curious because his eyes are a little sunken in? He is a sub-adult/adult Russian.

I also have a baby tortoise around 6 months old and I havent seen any white urates being excreted? He is a mountain Greek tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One thing. Are you soaking him, how often? Do you have water available 24/7 for him to get into if he wants and to drink? The chalky or gritty urates you don't want. Be sure to soak him in warm water every day, even two or three times for 20-30 minutes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The sunken eyes is the thing I watch for. And even soaking every sometimes takes a long time to help once you've noticed that.

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
He always has water available and I see him use it. I soak him 10-20 min 2-3 times a week, and often place him in his water dish also. But yea his eyes do seem sunken in.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
May we see a pic of your torts face so we can take a peek...sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words.... :D

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
No I don't keep him in sand. He's on a cypress mulch and dirt mix. It does get hot in the room I keep him in upstairs, the door is always closed, and doesn't get much air flow. The window is always open. I'll post a pic here in a few.

He does feel heavy, has some weight to him

Status
Not open for further replies.