Dehydrating Tort Food?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Ive been collecting weeds, hibiscus, mulberry and other goodies for winter but air drying is impossible in Maryland’s humidity or at least taking way too long for my lack of patience lol. So I bought this monster which will be here Thursday https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OV4FD0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I make a lot of veggie and fruit chips for the kids and I as well as jerky and my old dehydrator was just too small. So this bad boy isnt all Skurts but I’m trying to read up on dehydrating weeds and flowers for him with few detailed results.
Do you rehydrate or can you dry and crumble over their winter greens like a topping or both?
Which is preferred?
What is the best way to store his dehydrated winter stores?
Do I need a vacuum sealer for mason jars or can I freeze small portions and simply thaw?
Does it get all funky and mushy thawed?

I wish my grandma were still alive she canned, dehydrated, and jarred everything!! It was the ONE thing I swore I’d never do “cause it’s not the Great Depression”. Now I feel like a moron cause my kids love real jerky, veggie chips, and fruit but because I was making such small batches I never had to think of storage....those fools eat it ALL within three days.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I hadn't even thought of the dehydrating route. I blanch my greens right before winter. I have a small freezer chest near the enclosure, and a small fridge right underneath the enclosure. My thoughts at this point is: if the dehydrating route works, it would certainly save some space. lol. I think I'll have to research that a bit myself!

daniellenc

Maryland
Will they eat greens thawed? If I freeze non dehydrated greens they get super gross thawed and mine won’t touch them. Hence dehydrating

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Will they eat greens thawed? If I freeze non dehydrated greens they get super gross thawed and mine won’t touch them. Hence dehydrating

If properly blanched then set out to dry about a week before serving, they are not too bad. I don't store them soaked anyway. When ready to serve, I toss a little in with some store-bought greens. I'm only blanching the grass and weeds that are inaccessible in the winter. The torts don't seem to mind it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Last Fall I dehydrated a bunch of pumpkins. Put the slices in ziploc bags and stored in our extra fridge. The last few days ive been rehydrating and feeding a few handfuls every few days. Our Sully is no wiser. So dehydrating while you have an abundance and storing works well.

daniellenc

Maryland
Last Fall I dehydrated a bunch of pumpkins. Put the slices in ziploc bags and stored in our extra fridge. The last few days ive been rehydrating and feeding a few handfuls every few days. Our Sully is no wiser. So dehydrating while you have an abundance and storing works well.
Do flowers and leaves get crunchy at all? I Wanted to do my own herbal hay with them and save rehydrating for things like cactus and pumpkin, squash, and other veggies.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Do flowers and leaves get crunchy at all? I Wanted to do my own herbal hay with them and save rehydrating for things like cactus and pumpkin, squash, and other veggies.

What kind of flowers/leaves are you thinking about?

Cactus pads are fresh all year at our local Intl Market, so i don’t dry.
Pumpkin and squash dehydrate pretty quickly.

daniellenc

Maryland
I wanted to dehydrate rose of sharon leaves and flowers, hosta, and mulberry. The caveat is I didn't want to rehydrate and instead turn it into dried sprinkles if that makes sense?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I wanted to dehydrate rose of sharon leaves and flowers, hosta, and mulberry. The caveat is I didn't want to rehydrate and instead turn it into dried sprinkles if that makes sense?

Yep. Makes sense. I’m sure the Rose of Sharon will dehydrate nicely. The hosta might be too fine by the time it dries.. mulberry le@ves too. Heck, give it a try. You definitely won’t add water to those to rehydrate...mushy factor x 10.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes the rose of Sharon I dried out turned crispy. You could easily use it that way.

daniellenc

Maryland
Started two trays tonight!! This thing is monstrously huge but it’s nice I can remove trays to adjust height. Only problem is that nest in my one rose of Sharon. I thought it was abandoned and was going cull half the tree for leaves and flowers buuuuut an angry mamma bird made it clear this bush is hers. I spotted 2 babies who are developing hair so over the weekend I’ll check the other bush in hopes it is nest free!

Attachments

• CF870581-74D9-4A5D-9118-626B82214D8A.jpeg
    CF870581-74D9-4A5D-9118-626B82214D8A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 28D32572-AFA3-4960-B687-E2E5138FD026.jpeg
    28D32572-AFA3-4960-B687-E2E5138FD026.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I can never rehydrate things successfully. I bought a dried flower mix with lots of yummy flowers and leaves and when I tried to rehydrate it just looked a mess. Any tips?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Greetings. A lot depends on what u are dehydrating and rehydrating. Delicate things like grasses and flowers don’t really rehydrate well - it’s best to just crumble the dried bits on and over other foods. Leaves of mulberry or grape, dehydrated pumpkin and squash chunks rehydrate well. So, chunky things reydrate well, feathery things not as well. Hope that helps.