dehydrated CH RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnie05

5 Year Member
HI

i have a cherryhead redfoot 7 cm and it is dehydrated as it matched this description i found in your forum discussion:

Tortoises that are dehydrated usually feel lighter, they're eyes will appear sunk in their sockets and their rear legs and neck area may appear very skinny too. Often, they're skin will shed in large, dry pieces where shedding wouldn't typical be noticeable. They will usually not excrete much if any liquid wastes and may eventually lose their appetite in severe cases.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Dehydration--12243#ixzz252vu9HZi

i took it to the vet and the doctor said so too and she injected something (medication i suppose) to the tort.. for 1-2 days it seems to be more active and have more appetite but after a while it starts to not eat/ sleep all the time again... Doctor says that it need to be injected once every 2-3 days until it fully recover

My question is.. is there no other way to make it better other than constant injection? (quite costly and )

Ive already tried to feed it juicy fruits, soak it more often but it often just eat one or 2 bite and then goes to find a dark corner to sleep in again... is that normal way of recovering?

i keep it in outdoor enclosure with temp around 30 degrees and humidity lvl around 50-70%

help pls :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Could you provide a photo of the enclosure perhaps. Its possible may be getting too much direct sun. Red-foots like to have shaded areas. The humidity if in fact is that high should be good. Are you soaking the little guy? Wee ones like this should be soaked quite often (3-4 times a week at least) for a good 20-30 minutes. They also like a good spray a few times a day as well. What is your main diet you are feeding as well?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what is he injecting? might be good to know...
do you soak? have you tried baby food inthe water? what are you offereing to eat?
has it ever been a good eater? how long have you had it?

are your lights too bright? have you tried just heat, and keeping it darker?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
temp around 30 degrees

Do you mean 30 c ? Where in the world does your tort live? If you mean 30 c then that would be 86 f ....You say that the yard has this temp --is there a spot where your tort can bask directly in the sun throughout the day if he wants to so that he can increase his internal body temp to allow for digestion as well as the basking temps to prompt appetite?

May we see a pic of your tort please? I would like a pic that shows the face and the front leg/shoulder area under the front part of plastron....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.