Dehydrated and pyramiding aldabra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380797219.942633.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380797239.773195.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380797269.486049.jpg

Is my little Malik ok? He is (like it to be a he) growing so much since i have him two month ago.. I put him in an outdoor enclosure i built my self.. The temperature is about 89.F day time, received about 5hours direct sunlight and at night it drop to 76.F. But his skin is a bit dry and start to come off, especially neck and his forehead area, is he dehydrated? Isoaked him everyday at least for 20 mins minimum. He mainly eat grasses and weeds, greens twice a week + vitamin D3 and calcium. Is he pyramiding? :mad:

I dont want want him to be like this poor little guy when his growing up. Please advice..
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380798443.937001.jpg

Sorry for the icon. Its suppose to be sad.. :(

Plus he had shaded place in his enclosure and sufficient water for him to drinks and sometime soaked in it.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Homestead ,FL
The dry skin on the top of the head seems normal, I've seen it on many aldabras that size(including my own). I'm not an expert but I'd say you don't need to give him the D3 supplement, his body will produce D3 because of his exposure to natural sunlight. It is possible to give a reptile too much D3. The only other thing I would recommend would be an area of deeper vegetation or grass where it can sleep at night in an area of higher humidity. You could also build a "closed chamber" with high humidity for the animal to sleep in at night. That is what I do with my aldabra and his shell has been smooth so far. An example can be seen here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80359.html
You could also periodically feed the animal some spineless optuna cactus, it is helpful with hydration and has a good calcium balance. But I think the closed chamber at night would be the best route. Good luck!.
Jeff

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Holycow, stop the D3, get him into a higher humidity and be sure to have water available 24/7 and that he is using/drinking the water. He does not look as healthy as he should. Has he ever been checked for worms/parasites? It might be something I would do just incase.

I would also lower the water dishes to be level with the ground.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He does look a little dry. Do you run the sprinkler in his pen daily?

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
He usually sleeps here at night.ImageUploadedByTortForum1380810927.137329.jpg
He will dig himself into the grass and sleeping in humid soil. I sprinkle water daily in his enclosure.
He have water supply 24/7 and i always caught him drink and stay for a while in the water pot. I think its leveled enough ay? :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1380811132.842200.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380811148.496659.jpg

But how to check if he had worms? I read a thread in this forum that pumpkin can dewormed torts?
Thanks for helping me here guys.. :)

Will stop give him D3, actually its been raining for the past 2 weeks.. Can see the dry dirt on him.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it is said that pumpkin is a natural dewormer. I don't know if there is proof, but Lots seem to use it for this purpose. Take the whole pumpkin, seeds too and blend together for him. In the pics, the water dishes seem to sit on top if the ground. My just be the angle.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Hopefully Aldabraman will chime in here sometime, he has years of experience with the care of this species and may be able to point out a detail we are looking past.
I also should have asked you how long you have had this animal and what part of the U.S. or the world you are located in.
thanks,
Jeff

fauzi_alda/cata

5 Year Member
I got him two months ago from a pet store here. Actually i live in Asia, Malaysia.

I got him two months ago from a pet store here. Actually i live in Asia, Malaysia.

Status
Not open for further replies.