Deformed Turtles and Tortoises

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
They do now

When I took this one in, I excepted the understanding that it would be like this for life. I was in an automobile induced coma for awhile and while there he and many other tortoises of mine were relieved from me, so unfortunately, I can’t give y’all a solid answer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am assuming that they will be like this forever ,but can you get the turtles and tortoises back to a healthy/ normallish appearance after they have gotten this bad? Or, once the shell grows that way, there is no turning back?
No, they will never grow back to 'normal.'

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for sharing, mother nature can sure throw in some weird mutations but sadly most are the result of human ignorance.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
This is Clyde. I rescued him and he has a deformed shell, nails, and a deformed jaw, but a lot of personality. His original owner got as a hatchling and kept in a bathroom.

20190625_102321.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Frank when I got him, he was around 2-3 years old.. (2011) severe MBD and pyramiding, he also had kidney stones (the size of golfballs) he was the size of a dinnerplate and really flat for a sulcata. I was completely unsure if he would survive. He was kept inside whiteout uv and fed iceberg lettuce, he also was kept by someone who was under the impression that he would get all the water he needed from his food.

View attachment 281228View attachment 281229

Him now

View attachment 281230View attachment 281231View attachment 281232View attachment 281233View attachment 281234
Aw heck! I was anxious to see Frank's then and now pictures, but I get an error message and they won't open for me. Dang it!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Frank when I got him, he was around 2-3 years old.. (2011) severe MBD and pyramiding, he also had kidney stones (the size of golfballs) he was the size of a dinnerplate and really flat for a sulcata. I was completely unsure if he would survive. He was kept inside whiteout uv and fed iceberg lettuce, he also was kept by someone who was under the impression that he would get all the water he needed from his food.

IMG_0644.jpgIMG_0645.jpgIMG_0634.jpgIMG_0636.jpgIMG_0637.jpgIMG_0635.jpgIMG_0638.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh wow. Frank should be called Stalagmite! My sister up in Oregon has a badly deformed sulcata too, but he's not nearly as bad as Frank.

Frank isn't in your signature. Just an oversight? or has he passed?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is my little deformed Redfoot thst6a was given by a teenage girl on Craigslist.
He has eye and facial deformities. But the most shocking part is that he is over 20 months old now. And he's the size of a 2 month old at best.

20190801_131632.jpg 20190801_131613.jpg

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Oh wow. Frank should be called Stalagmite! My sister up in Oregon has a badly deformed sulcata too, but he's not nearly as bad as Frank.

Frank isn't in your signature. Just an oversight? or has he passed?

Lol frank is Bertha... tortious sexing isn’t that easy [emoji849] and he is definitely still alive [emoji16]

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Does a deformed dog count?
20200325_163418.jpg
This is my Dixie. She was born with her eyes not being fully developed. She can see 'shadows' out of her one eye. The other one is not sealed, just formed that way and as you can see her eyes are very small, with no real form... she was thrown out of a car and my customer pulled over and grabbed her out of the road before she was hit ( she saw the whole thing) 2 years later she gave her to me due to health issues. She walks around ok so long as you don't move the furniture around on her, but she does have seizures and they don't know if its from being thrown out of the car or if its linked to her eye issues