Deformed tortoise gets a wheelchair

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
This is a Marje needed Tortoise that was born with a congenital deformity. It’s bottom of the shell is twisted upside down. It’s front half was perfectly normal there was no deformity in its face or front legs. He was able to properly eat and it could scoot itself around using its front legs. Though at times it struggled. In order for it to move around easier I attached Wheels to the bottom of it Shell. Check out this YouTube link of it walking for the first time.

IMG_4137.jpgIMG_4136.jpgIMG_4231.jpgIMG_4226.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Wow that is completely crazy. His legs are literally upside down!
Great idea with the wheels though. He looks alert and happy enough. Will you keep this one?

Oldbro

Chicago
Eats, drinks and eliminates ok? If so, your gonna need a new set of wheels every couple years. Great invention Mr.Edison.

Philip Rome

Hampshire
Wow, amazing tort and fantastic idea. What wheels did you use and what did you use to attach the wheels? Did you do it or did you go to a vet?

My tort has no movement in his back legs. He is a rescue Greek with no history. We are considering wheels.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Wow, amazing tort and fantastic idea. What wheels did you use and what did you use to attach the wheels? Did you do it or did you go to a vet?

My tort has no movement in his back legs. He is a rescue Greek with no history. We are considering wheels.
I think this tort uses toy skateboard wheels. Maybe your tortoise would benefit from this but use proper skate board wheels instead?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Aw the poor thing, he looks like he's been twisted like a wet rag!
Good idea to help him move.
Are his insides twisted as well and will that cause him problems as he grows?

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
@shellfreak

I believe I saw you.post on a FB group about this little one. Can you share the diagnostic imaging on here from this little ones exam? Fascinating stuff!

You did well