Deformed baby redfoot

Josiewa

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
My husband and I recently got this little one and have been wanting him for a while because of her specialness. We waited a month or two before getting her, but once we found that she was the only one left of the bunch and we didn’t think anyone would give her a life because of the potential problems she’ll face, we wanted to give her a life. So we are just looking for any tips on how to make sure that she’ll be okay, even with her she’ll deformity.

Attachments

• BDA99E88-9095-416C-830F-EB179A81308C.jpeg
    BDA99E88-9095-416C-830F-EB179A81308C.jpeg
    817.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 2F33554B-54B3-4FEC-8F2F-4DD0F2D681DF.jpeg
    2F33554B-54B3-4FEC-8F2F-4DD0F2D681DF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 163

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My husband and I recently got this little one and have been wanting him for a while because of her specialness. We waited a month or two before getting her, but once we found that she was the only one left of the bunch and we didn’t think anyone would give her a life because of the potential problems she’ll face, we wanted to give her a life. So we are just looking for any tips on how to make sure that she’ll be okay, even with her she’ll deformity.
Those are just extra scutes, it's pretty common. It won't have any negative affect on the health of your tortoise and you don't have to do anything differently.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Those are just extra scutes, it's pretty common. It won't have any affect on the health of your tortoise and you don't have to do anything differently.
The next thing you will be told on this forum is that you should not keep the two babies together or one will attempt to dominate the other one resulting in stress for both tortoises. If you have more than two babies, it is less stressful if they are kept in groups of three or more than just two together.

Happytort27

CA
Congrats on your little one!

I believe this is the correct care sheet for redfoot tortoises. Please follow the directions carefully to ensure the proper care for your tortoises.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Nothing wrong with it just a different pattern shell. Raise them normally. Just have I mind that they are solitary and enjoy their own space and not good at sharing.

Josiewa

Hawaii
The next thing you will be told on this forum is that you should not keep the two babies together or one will attempt to dominate the other one resulting in stress for both tortoises. If you have more than two babies, it is less stressful if they are kept in groups of three or more than just two together.
Oh yea totally, that’s just me letting them
Out in the grass for natural sunlight and all. They have separate enclosures. Also just for the comparison picture.

Josiewa

Hawaii
Those are just extra scutes, it's pretty common. It won't have any negative affect on the health of your tortoise and you don't have to do anything differently.
Yea I know they’re just extra scutes...but the picture doesn’t really grasp the kind of dent that is in the shell, and that’s what I’m most worried about.

Josiewa

Hawaii
Also just want to add that they are NOT kept together, they have their own enclosures and are only together for a comparison photo and are taken outside together in a large yard for natural sunlight:)

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They are hatchlings shell today will grow. Ensure you have correct food, light and temperatures and so what if it has a dent it is a special tortoise with a dent as long as it eats , drinks and walks about it will have a good life. Ensure you soak them to ensure good hydration and shell growth.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yea I know they’re just extra scutes...but the picture doesn’t really grasp the kind of dent that is in the shell, and that’s what I’m most worried about.
I have had many baby tortoises hatch with dents and creases in their shells. By the time the tortoises get to a year of age or so, you can hardly see those dents or creases any more. It should be fine and should go away completely or almost completely given enough time.

Because of the abnormal scutes, that tortoise is still going to look asymmetrical as it grows up, though. IE, the right side with more scutes will be longer the the left side with fewer scutes, so the tortoise will appear to be shorter on the left side than the right side. It may appear almost as though it was making a left turn or going in a circle.

Last edited:

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

As others have said perhaps extra scutes makes extra special to some of us but not really any health defect. Follow the care sheet on here for them and this one will likely grow and straighten out just fine. Many hatchlings have somewhat warped or wrinkled shells and most grow up just perfect under the right conditions. Congratulations?! If looking for a Redfoot I'd have collected this one in a heartbeat!

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
PS doesnt look "deformed"..rather special..gives him charm and character..I dont think that effect health..might check with vet.