Definitions of hydration and dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

relaxkuma123

5 Year Member
I 've read Tom's thread about preventing pyramiding..
But I could not understand the meaning of "hydration" or "dehydrated"

Could someone here please tell me that meanings in details with examples or photos?

Thank you
Ekkapat
Thailand

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, AZ
In very simple terms, these words mean either an animal has a proper amount of water in it's body or does not. Dehydrated is when an animal does not have as much water as it should.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
OllieInAZ said:
In very simple terms, these words mean either an animal has a proper amount of water in it's body or does not. Dehydrated is when an animal does not have as much water as it should.
Couldn't of said it better myself,
Leyman terms, if you pinch the skin and it stays pinched after letting go, the animal is dehydrated, also if it has sunken eyes, meaning, not a happy healthy animal,

Hydrated happy and healthy animal!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The easiest way to determine if your tortoise is dehydrated is to calculate the Donoghue Ratio-

Your tortoise's shell straight-line carapace length in centimeters, taken to the third power, times 0.191 gives you the minimum weight it should be. In a formula, it goes "LENGTHcm^3 x 0.191 = WTgr"

The formula does not work well for babies, but otherwise does a good job of identifying underweight animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.